digital tv

ytgti

Established Member
Reaction score
We have sky digital in the room and i want it in my bedroom either the same subscription as down stairs or just free2air, i want to be able to watch seperate channles and at the cheapest possible cost, ive heard i need to buy a new box but there about £200 i'm not paying that. please, someone point me in a cheap direction. I would have bought the pace box but cant get a signal in my area and i want a nice crisp picture for my nice big telly.

To view two seperate channels from a single dish will require you to replace the single LNB with at least a twin LNB and then lay a second cable connected to a second digibox.

There is no really "cheap" way to do this unless you are very lucky and someone gives you the hardware:)
SKY will sell you a brand new second box and supply/fit the LNB for £219, a "mirror" smartcard will cost you an extra £12 a month and BOTH digiboxes have to be connected to the same phoneline to ensure the "mirror" card isn't sold on.
If you just want the FTA or FTV channels on the second digibox then you can get a "free" smartcard from the BBC and no phone connection is then required.

You could get a second hand digibox from a car boot/local press or online auction but they would tend to be slower models and of course no warranty, price anything from £40 to £100 and then the LNB would probably have to be bought "new" at £30+.
Fairly easy to install otherwise it's another XXX pounds to have it done by a third party.
The SKY price is suddenly looking a whole lot better:)

O.k ive found a digibox/dish/remote for £50 localy in excellent condition ( dont know what make yet ) but dose that matter.

You can just put up the second dish but I do not know if the local council busy bodies would object if it's still considered to be breaking local planning regs.
I've never installed a dish myself but others have and reported it's not that difficult if you are patient.
The digibox is most certainly an older model digibox at that price, they are slower but if it works good enough for you and it's cheap then why worry.

It's a nokia, are they any good.

what would you recomend. Are they all compatable

What do you meen buy ''slower''.

Nokia do not make SKY digiboxes so I am not sure why anyone would sell one with a dish unless it was as a FTA reciever.
If you want to watch BBC, ITV1 etc etc or any subscription SKY channel off SKY digital then you have to have a SKY digibox, no other satellite reciever will decode the channels.

Early digiboxes had slower processors and less ram which means they process the EPG and menus slower than the newer boxes.
MpegII decoding is the same so it's just a question if the delay in updaing the menus when you press a button is a problem.

Sorry my mistake the the nokia was just the box on its own and completly different to the first one i mentioned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom