1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital TV - what's so good about it?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by martinha, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinha

martinha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read some of the comments on this and the general forum I'm coming to the conclusion that digital TV may not be all it's cracked-up to be.

Lots of manufacturers in their blurb spout on about the quality of the picture...but surely if you've got a good aerial then the analogue signal will be just as good. We do not have HD TV in this country and looks like we'll be waiting for ever to get it. Also, when a digital signal starts to degrade it does so very quickly (bit of an all or nothing scenario).

Someone tell me I'm talking rubbish....I was planning on buying a digital TV but if the benefits are very minor (if at all) then I'll save myself a shed load of money and get an analogue set instead.

Comments you guys.....?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Benefits
    BBC looks good in W/S
    C4 look good in W/S
    Anamorphic Widescreen
    News 24
    CBeebies
    BBC Choice
    ITV2
    No multipath shadows
    Upgradeable to pay TV

Cons
    Occasional breakup
    p*ss taking by broadcasters on bit rate on some channels
    (ITV can get messy)

I would say if you want a W/S TV and watch BBC/ITV/C4 get a digital TV - BBC can look superb

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hello Martinha,

I am just coming to the end of my first year with Digital TV and have to say that it is a huge disappointment. My experience is with ITV/On Digital and you are right to have doubts.

Picture is no better; in fact if you take into account the frequent periods of break up of sound and picture (at least once a night) a lot worse. I have found that if you look at the program listings the vast majority is repeats, repeats and more repeats. When the series of Friends started, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. This seams to be the process that is adopted.

I would have to say that all in all a very poor prospect that will cost a fortune in subscription fees. So in conclusion from this viewer not worth the £15 that it costs.
    :(

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    martinha

You're not talking rubbish.

In fact a good analogue signal is better than digital, picture and stereo sound.

The only reason I got it was because of widescreen broadacsts, nothing else.

The reason it hasn't taken off is because it really has nothing to offer, it just isn't a desirable enough product unlike DVD.

If you're happy with your 5 analogue channels and not that bothered about WS then stay right where you are.

When people come round to my house and I show them my HC set up, I usually give them a demo of a DVD, SVHS and the DD 5.1 surround. Digital TV never gets a mention. I tried to once, showing the 'internet TV' side of Cable but people just laughed at me and said teletext was much faster and better :eek:

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Get yourself a television that doesn't have an inbuilt digital tuner and then at some future time you can alway buy a set top box.
    No point if you are undecided in paying for hardware you might not use.
    Just to clarify, modern TV's with just analogue tuners also have many digital features which can improve the picture and these have nothing to do with recieving digital TV through an aerial.
    Remeber also there are three platforms for digital TV, don't be put off by ITV D's efforts:)

I would support the government if it took steps to force all TV's sold in the UK to have digital tuners though.
    It's a shame that the total disaster that was ONdigital and now ITV digital will have severely soured the format for millions of people.
    DTT had such potential but once again ruined by profit motivated companies and short sighted state indifference.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It is possible to get good DTTV

I prefer the Digital artifacts to the poor colour performance and ghosting I get on PAL

Also some IDTVs come with some really good features

eg Sony 32" PAL FQ75 full of problems, DX100 appears fine

Also DX100 has TWO RGB Scart - very good

I find that the Sony tuners are more tolerant than Ondigital boxes, compare 10 breakups in half an hour to one blocking.

Only problems I get are

1) Lawnmowers - also get severe streaking on analogue
    2) Funny weather - once a year I get severe breakup (PAL is also terrible)

Alright washing done in day time!

The secrets of DTTV are these.

1) Get best aerial possible
    2) Use CT100 cable as minimum
    3) Use RF Filtered power sockets
    4) Don't break the downlead - except for mast head amps - also make sure they are shielded

I live in Worcester and use Sutton Coldfield

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is not strictly true.

An anamorphic widescreen transmission on Digital tv should look better than a non-anamorphic widescreen transmission on analogue terrestial.

However, thanks to the mentality of some (most) of the Digital tv stations, we have to put up with quantity rather than quality and compression can spoil the quality of the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.