1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital TV Test

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by raven219, Oct 1, 2002.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Because of where I live (listed building) I am not allowed a dish. NTL can't be bothered offering me digital services, so my only option is the free to air route. The websites can't guarentee coverage (centre of Ipswich), so is there a way I can test the digital reception before I buy kit.

BTW I am in a converted flat so we are all using the same aerial.

Cheers

Raven

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the kit from Argos. You can get a full refund within 16 days if you are not satisfied.

DaveP

3. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm afraid not.
    These products are excluded from the 16day guarantee.
    Your best bet is to borrow one from a freind, or maybe find a smaller installer who might have one you could borrow.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing to find out is whether the transmitter you get your existing analogue pictures from is sending digital signals.

You need to ask around to find out, then check on the DTT website.

Also do a post code check, either on the web or with a local DTT dealer.

If the answer is yes, do you get good analogue reception from your communal aerial?

And this is where it gets tricky, you might well get digital signals from it, but it depends how well it was installed as to how stable they will be.

However when my son bought his own house, he took his box from my house to his new flat, and it worked perfectly from the communal aerial system there, which serves around fifty or more flats.

Then sadly, ITV Digital went bust!

Borrowing a box is certainly a good idea if you can.

I'd have thought a local dealer would try it for you if you agree to buy it if it works...

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just because the building is listed, doesn't mean you cant install a dish on a pole in the garden, or on a shed or something.

It will only be a matter of time before someone has a test case and overturns this, probaby with that new law about human rights. Everyone should be entitled to access information, and this is a form of censorship because of where you live.

Indeed I believe there was a case recently where this was argued and the dish allowed, although admittedly it was to the rear of the property and not visible from the road.

I bet your building has a tv aerial on the roof, telephone cable attached to the wall, and quite likely electric cables attached around the outside, possibly even an alarm box. These were not prevented by its listed status, neither I bet were features inside such as radiators, none of which were around probably when the house was built. It also probably has electric lights and sockets, and does not rely on candles now!

7. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right of course, but when I lived with my mum and dad many years ago, they had to ask permission from their landlord to put in a loft aerial - and a telephone line.

It wasn't always granted either.

And the landlord was - you've guessed - the local council.

People should kick up stink with their local councillors, who will on occasions overrule their officials recommendations.

Make it a local election issue...

8. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Some valid points made about the listed building. Problem is that there are no cables coming to building at all so I can't use that argument. I live on the first floor so no garden or shed! Hence I am stuck with the main ariel in the loft.

I think the advice of speaking to a local dealer (not Currys or Dixons) and see what they say.

Raven

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is almost certain that an aerial in the loft will not have a good enough reception to pick up a digital transmission. You can get away with poor reception of an analogue signal, but not a digital one. The aerial needs to be external really to stand any chance of picking up digital at acceptable quality.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is almost certain that an aerial in the loft will not have a good enough reception to pick up a digital transmission. You can get away with poor reception of an analogue signal, but not a digital one. The aerial needs to be external really to stand any chance of picking up digital at acceptable quality.

11. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats not strictly true, it really just depends where you live. I get a pristine digital signal through a small indoor TV aerial, I've tried it on the outside one as well (which was mounted specifically for ITV digital before we moved in) and the signal strength is slightly higher but there is no real noticeable diference in picture quality.
    This is why the only way to know for sure is to try it, I'm lucky that I get such a good signal, you may be too.
    I believe during the next month the beeb and crown castle will be upping the strength anyway, so probably best to try once Freeview has launched on the 30th.

12. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need an outside aerial for DTT if the reception is strong -but that's the rub - it all depends where you live.

Have a look at the outside aerials on roofs around you - where are they pointing?

If it's a main transmitter and they are fairly small - around 12 elements - you might be lucky with a loft aerial.

It's really back where we started - trying out a box to see what happens.

Wait until the end of the month by which all the new engineering to boost the DTT signal has been done and try to get a local dealer to try a box out for you...

13. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Spoke to a local dealer. He said that we don't have any coverage here and to wait till the end of the month.

Guess that answers that then!

Raven

14. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds as if he know's what he's talking about then - at least he knows about the end of the month!

Although in truth the new transmissions begin on test this week.