Digital TV & Plasma

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Kirk, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I am in the process of deciding which Plasma screen to buy and have noticed that some come with TV Tuners (some with dual tuners) and some without any.

I will be using my Plasma screen for DVD, Sky through my Pace Digibox and maybe hook up my old Video player for good measure.

Do I need to add a TV Tuner to the Plasma screen in order view my Sky channels or can I just hook up the arial into the digibox and then the Digibox into the Plasma by Scart?

Or am I just getting myself and everyone else confused:eek:

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Most people agree that tuner boxes - like Panasonic one - are a waste of money and in fact degrade the signals.

For Sky via rgb scart you'll need an rgb to plasma vga box - www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk £120. I bought a QED RGB only Sqart (£35 from empiredirect) for this myself and found it to be worth it picture wise.

Video if s-video then 4 pin din in, if normal vhs then composite to composite or bnc - depending which model plasma you intend getting.

DVD obviously component in would be best.

Job done

Oh and remember that a plasma is very much source dependant, in that a poorer source will be shown up just as a good one will demonstrate why they can indeed rock - so don't scrimp on cheapo cables!

3. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am leaning heavily towards the Sony PFM-42B1 Panel, in which I believe I will need to add the optional BKM-B10 tuner card in order to get the rquired connectivity.

(1 x composite & 2 x RGB)

Bugger!