Digital tv over cat6 using patch panel

Loopy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please can someone help an individual that embraces technology but it does not seem to embrace me!!!!!

I have recently refurbished my house and installed Cat6 sockets next to coax sockets in all rooms. The cat6 runs to a patch panel in my office which in turn is plugged into my bt infinity. My coax all run up to a booster in my attic an then off to a standard tv aerial.

Unfortunately we can only receive a tv signal from a small transmitter therefore we only get a few free channels. For years I have put off succumbing to the almighty sky, but with such few channels now I think I need to change tact.

So is there any way I can watch sky free channels in various rooms if I bought a few sky boxes? I am not bothered about watching different channels in multiple rooms simultaneously.

Please feel free to ask any questions if I have not been clear, and please could you keep your answer as simple as possible regarding terminology:)

Many thanks

I only have 1 cable running to each room. I am not overly concerned about HDMI if there is still a way of doing it? With one sat dish running to a std tv 8 way splitter can I not just have a sky box in all the rooms over coax? I guess not or they would not charge you for multi room? I do not want any of the premium channels remember!

Thanks

If you have a coax out to every room from a central location then you can use the RF2 output from a Sky box and then send this to all TV's. It's easy and works okay, quality is reasonable and you can control the Sky box from each location with a Sky Magic Eye (only one box though so same channel everywhere)

This sort of thing.... 4-Room Sky Distribution Kit : Sky Remotes & Accessories : Maplin Electronics

I recently installed a 16 way labgear one for a customer, worked flawlessly and they were very happy. Why they have 16 TV's is another matter, but they were happy none the less!!

You can send HDMI over a single cable with the right amplifier/splitter. This will give you high definition sky in all areas, but again with only one Sky box you'll be watching one channel at any one time. You can get single cat 6 distribution splitters/matrixes from Atlona, CYP etc. They aren't cheap though. Have a look on www.tech4homes.co.uk

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I think the 4way splitter may just be the thing shame I have just started buying sky boxes off ebay, ha ha.

Yeah 16 tv's that's quite a few.

Many thanks

You don't have to use Sky if you just want 'normal' channels, you could use a dish and get a freesat receiver instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom