1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital TV or not?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Theresa, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Theresa

Theresa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As you can tell, this is my first thread

We are looking for a new TV and are somewhat confused as to which is the best purchase.

Our current Sony TV has colour problems with purple colour creeping across the bottom of the screen and the blue turning green (supposed to have been fixed, but it is still there).

We currently have an amplifier (name escapes me) and B&W front, rear and centre speakers, a new Panasonic DVD Recorder, Sony VCR (not connected at the moment). The amp and video are about 6 years old, so they are no digital.

We think we should now go widescreen (we chose not to 6 years ago) and it would seem sensible to go digital. We are not sure about the plasma/projection type TV’s as most of these are not digital (or does it not matter?). Also, would it be a waste with our present analogue amp, to have a digital TV (when using the surround sound).

Any recommendations/point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Theresa

2. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Widescreen really is the future, and it makes sense to buy such a set where ever possible.

Now as you are buying a widescreen set, you will want widescreen software to view on it, which unless you spend the majority of your time watching DVDs means some form of digital tuner.

If you use an analogue tuner with a widescreen set, you are restricting yourself to watching 14:9 letterbox broadcasts (with the occasional 16:9 letterbox broadcast on channel 4), and to view such material on a widescreen set you have to zoom the picture - stretching it both vertically and horizontally which results in a loss of resolution, and possibly visible and annoying scan lines. Further zooming a 14:9 letterbox picture still leaves you with black bars at the sides.

With a proper digital tuner you can take advantage of proper widescreen anamorphic broadcasts which will correctly fill your 16:9 display, these are available on all of the terestrial channels - BBC1 - Channel 5 + some of the digital only channels.

To get a digital tuner you have a choice of Sky Digital, Digital cable of digital terestrial FTA - you have to pay a subscription for cable or sky but terestrial FTA is as the name sugests free, assuming its available in your area.

If you go for FTA, I would advice a proper IDTV as opposed to an analogue set + external decoder, the picture quality from an IDTV is so much better as the tuner is directly coupled to the set, this is especially the case with Sony IDTVs.

I would even go as far as to sugest that if you did decide to go for digital cable or Sky, that an IDTV is still a good idea as you can then watch one program whilst recording another.

If you go fo a plasma set, these currently do not come with digital tuners, so a seperare STB would be necessary.

3. Theresa

Theresa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Pete.

What a burke, I forgot to put that we also have Sky digital.

Thanks

Theresa

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regards the tv you have . This sounds to me like a magnetic problem . Do you have your center speaker under the tv . If you do it may be that the magnetic sheilding if it has any is not adiquate .

Most modern tvs have built in degaussing .Try turning off the tv (prith the main power switch not in standby) then turn back on after 15-20 mins with the speaker removed. If that solves the problem then i would think of another center speaker befor a new tv or you may have just the same problem with your shinny new set

5. Theresa

Theresa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon,

This is exactly what the company who repaired the TV say. They say they have had it on soak test for 4 days and it was fine. They say the replaced something at the cost of £80, but to us it is no different. You are correct in saying that the problem is fixed when the TV degausses, but I don't want to carry on doing that, The problem usually took 3/4 hours to materialise but lately this has been quicker. We are not ones to leave the TV on standby, which I understand can also cause the problem.

We do have a center speaker; it is on top of the TV. However, we moved the front speakers to 4 foot away and the center speaker entirely and the problem is still there. These are proper surround sound speakers B&W, although they are all about 6 years old. Do you think it is possible the shielding is the center speak is not working?

Any help most appreciated.

Theresa

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have somthing like a video or somthing directly under the tv . Most electrical operated devices can produce electro magnetic radiation . This is not usualy that bad but if you have somthing under the tv that has developed a problem and is now producing excecive EMR . When you turn the tv off and on try removing anything like this from the tv and running it for a while .

I would hate for you to get a new tv have have the same problem .

I have a magnetic problem myself . Mine i cannot solve though . Iget benningding of the tv image on all tvs in my house . The efect is'nt to bad upstairs and if i put a tv on the floor it is dreadfull . I think it must be a geological this ( a large deposit of iron under the house or somthing

If you are going for a new tv i would say go for widescreen
    a didgi tuner in the tv is a good idear but don't get a tv just becouse it has this feature .Go look at a lot of tvs and go for the one with the best pic . If it has a dtuner then all the better but you have sky so there are more important things to look for in a tv

If you realy want a set with a dtuner then plasma tvs don't have em . some don't have a tuner at all . Sony do make rear projection sets with one though so if you want somthing a bit bigger then you may be better looking in that direction .Just don't spend without having a full demo first . Some people just don't like the image they produce .

When it comes to sound no mater what tv you get didgital or not you will still want to use your amp . No tv no mater how good is going to campare with a nice amp and speakers

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would recommend an IDTV.

Good IDTV on BBC, ITV, and C4 looks so good!

Sony IDTV tuners are good!