Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Digital TV on PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jmjm, Jan 27, 2003.

1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just bought a new PC which has a Radeon 9700 with TV out. I want to watch digital TV on the flat scren monitor. I was thinking of adding one of the hauppauge winTV cards to achieve this. Can someone tell me how I should choose between the digital satellite cards (WinTV Nexus-s and WinTV Nova - difference??) or the digital terrestial card (WinTV Nova-t (PCI)).

I appreciate that the digital terrestial card will plug into the aerial and give me the standard freeview channels. But I have a Sky dish for the TV downstairs with a Sky subscription. So could I use the digital satellite card to connect to this, or does this involve a whole new internet-based subscription?

Alternatively, can I send my current Sky feed to the PC (or monitor) with an RF video sender like I currently do to the portable in the kitchen.

Also, are there any better TV cards to achieve this?

Thanks

2. Gav

Gav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before going with a Hauppauge I'd suggest taking a look at the Nebula Electronics DigiTV PCI card / USB adaptor. The card has an analogue input too to connect to a VCR, or possibly your sky box. I haven't got one myself yet, but heard about them in the Sudhian SFF forums.

Gav