Digital tv (not STB) to recorder. Do I need Freeview DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jpmageddon, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jpmageddon

jpmageddon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have a digital tv and am about to purchase my first DVD recorder. Most references mention having a STB but obviously there are differences e.g. less connections. I am trying to decide between a Panasonic ES30 (£[email protected] Sounds)and waiting for the new EZ45 (£299?), which includes freeview. I don't really need HD connectivity. Currently, I have to leave tv ON to record freeview to video. I assume that will be the same with dvd so having internal freeview within dvd recorder would make sense. Would I be able to record one channel from freeview and watch another (from freeview)?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Yes, as long as your TV has Freeview built-in and you have a DVDR also with Freeview or a separate STB.

3. jpmageddon

jpmageddon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Jaycee. Think I'll definitely go for internal freeview. So it's waiting for EZ45 or perhaps es20 (good price at Richer Sounds) and a VCR. Anyone want to help me make up my mind?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    One thing you might have to think of is that my IDTV can only send the Freeview signal to the DVR when it is on. That means the TV has to be on while recording and the channel cannot be charged. It drove me nuts (plus only in composite quality). I bought a set top box just for recording from and in RGB.

5. grd2

grd2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For those of you with an internal freeview TV who have to leave it on to record the freeview signal, I suggest you check your manual as my digital TV has a facility to set a timer in the same way as a video. ie the TV can be left on standby and when the timer kicks in, the tuner is turned on, correct channel selected, and a signal is sent out whilst the TV remains on standby.

I have also discovered, that under certain conditions, I can get the tuner to stay on all the time to save worrying about the internal timer. You just need to leave it on the correct channel when it is switched off. Only useful if different channels are not required but much more useful than setting two timers each time.

Graham

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I have a timer but it doesn't work very well. It will always miss the first timer set for the day.

7. jpmageddon

jpmageddon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips digital tv (= integrated freeview tuner) which has the facility to program a timer recording while in standby. However, the DVD recorder will also need programming and to have to go through that procedure twice is (for me) too much hassle. So a major consideration is DVR with integrated digital tuner.

I should be able to record one digital program and one analogue program and at the same time watch a third analogue channel (or record digitally from DVR and watch tv digitally.

Panny ES20 (multiregion) is looking a strong favourite.

8. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Sony KD-28HX51U which has Freeview built in. Only £299 and not the £500 odd that I might have paid if I had been impatient 6 months ago! When I connected it to My HX-900 DVD recorder, the "Smartlink" icon lit up on the HX-900 front panel.

The EPG can be set so the recording kicks in at the right moment. Under these conditions the TV on/off button pilot light shows red but displays a quick green flash every 8 seconds. I have to make sure my wife does not touch the on/off button!

9. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I don't think this is true. The ES20 has both a digital and analogue tuner but I am pretty sure you can only record from one of them at any one time. I'll have a play later - as I would be very pleased if it did!

10. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes you can only use tuner at a time in the ES20D. Either the freeview or analogue but not both at same time. It is useful though for recording analogue when bad weather causes picture breakup on ITV and channel 4. I am not in a very good freeview location so this tuner is a bonus for me. A Sony wouldn't be of much use as it ONLY has the digital tuner.

11. jpmageddon

jpmageddon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to have reasonable reception. I am Winter Hill as well. Isn't Oldham not too far from Winter Hill? he only reason I ask is because of that review which said the es20 tuner was not too sensitive.

12. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'd say it's a single tuner with wider band reception to include freeview frequencies so its tuned to only one frequency channel at any given time, be it analog or freeview...

13. zebs

zebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I get a better signal, and less prone to breakup interference with the sound, with my ES20 than I do with my stand alone (Setpal) Daewoo Box (which were reputed to be one of the most sensitive in their day)

14. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Which one? Are you sure you are recording RGB?