Digital TV in apartment block?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bobones, Jan 25, 2002.

1. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I live in an modern apartment block which at present has no access to any sort of digital broadcasting. We used to be able to receive mono only analogue SKY broadcasts however the company selling these packages has ceased all operations in our building. (I never signed up for their inferior and overpriced service anyway).

NTL cabled our street years ago but never got round to doing our building (despite numerous calls from me), and given their current financial plight, I can't see us ever getting NTL services. The upshot of all this is that the residents in my building can only receive the standard 5 terrestrial analog channels.

I am about to engage in some dialogue with the our residents association and factors about doing something about this. Can anyone suggest any reasonably cost effective ways of getting either SKY digital or ITV digital in a 6 storey block of flats with 42 apartments?

As far as I understand it, our communal aerial is too weak for ITV digital and we're not allowed dishes on the building but a shared one on the roof might be OK. Any suggestions welcome.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,222
    FYI I deleted the duplicate post in the Video Recorders hardware forum as it was both inappropriate for that forum and a duplicate.

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, thanks and apologies. I saw SKY in the forum title and jumped the gun. Copied it to here when I realised my mistake.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why not talk to Sky about the feasibility of doing this? Make sure they know you can't speak for the whole building, but that if they give you the right info and a decent offer, you might be able to land them with a building full of new customers. Get as much from them as you can to present to your resident's association. If you've done all the leg work for it yourself, more people might be prepared to back you up and the association might be more willing to listen and do something about it.