Digital TV Distribution

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by stevegreen, Jun 27, 2002.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Just about to move house and the house that i am moving into has a distribution box in the loft for the RF signal from the aerial.

One question.

If i connect a Sky digibox to it, will i be able to watch Sky Tv on all the Tv's in the house?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yes but only one channel at a time, and you need a way to change channels as far as I am aware

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    so, i'll need to get one of those magic eye thingy's then?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. big@l

big@l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll only be able to get pictures from sky if the distribution unit is digital. If is an analogue one then it wont work. :(

6. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The simple answer is that you need to feed one of the RF outputs from the Sky box up to the Distribution input.

Assuming you would also like Terrestrial TV as well and you have a video recorder in the same room as the Sky box, I would do the following.

Disconnect the Outside Aireal from the Distribution box and feed this directly to the room in which you have the Sky Box. DO NOT use the existing co-axial from the output of the distribution that goes to the room with the Sky box. Run a new lead.

Hook the Areial feed to the Areial Input of the Sky box, connect the RF output 1 from the Sky box to the Video.

Now, take the areial output from the Video and feed this to the Distribution box Input. Again via a new Co-Axial feed.

Once you have done this, you will be able to view either Terrestrial TV, the Sky box or the Video in any room connected to the Distribution output.

Sky Eye will not work in this set up. I have not come across a distibution box that will pass-through the voltage required by the Sky EYE. If anybody does know of one, then all you need to do is swap the video and sky around so the Sky box is last in the dasiy channel and connect the chain to the RF2 output.

If you must have the ability to change channels and the distribution box does not pass through the voltage, then you will have to run a length of co-ax from the RF2 out to the room you want to change channels.

Hope that helps,

Guy

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Sorry, provided the ditribution box can handle RF signals (and any box used to distribute an outside areial does) then it will happily pipe the RF output of a Sky box around the house though you will only get MONO sound and the RF output does not handle Nicam.

You must be thinking of a box to pipe the raw LNB feed to several diffierent Sky Boxes, such as those used in a flat complex. Yes, a simple RF distribution box will be of no use there, but for a normal house, you would be better off getting a quad LNB and use that.

Guy

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    If you want control of Sky and VCR from the other rooms there are companies who'll do replacement distribution systems that will have this facility.

I've completley forgotten the name of the first guys....something like a "handylink" or other...sure it does 4 or 5 rooms and comes with 1 or 2 ir targets. Sort of thing any aerial or satellite guy is bound to have in stock.

Gordon