Digital TV card from Aldi - £29.99

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ducey, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ducey

ducey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had the usual Aldi email telling me about their latest offers and they have this TV card available for £29.99

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_114.html

"This clever plug-in card lets you receive digital tv and radio (not DAB) on your PC.

* Enhanced 16:9 wide format display
    * Auto-scan and channel recognition
    * Philips chip set
    * Capture TV and video image as Mpeg 4, 2 & 1 format
    * Support still image capture in JPEG or BMP format
    * Time shifting to record and playback TV programmes at the same time
    * Also includes:

remote control with batteries, audio cable, quick installation manual & CD Rom"

It's PCI interface, and thought someone on heere may be interested as it's £10 cheaper than the Nova-T from PC World.

2. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same one branded 'Jetway'. records great, remote works fine. channel change is about half second. The software supplied works for scheduled recordings (channel no, time/date) but the electronic epg is useless.

Recordings 'fixed' with videoredo (takes 30 seconds) record fine onto dvd using standard software.

reception and signal breakup problems are much lower than my standalone philips dtr1500.

any other questions feel free to ask. i would recommend this unit as a good value product that completes its task well. I imagine other cards may have better software and an epg that works with uk channels.

You can manually add frequencies to 'unlock' some unencrypted ppv channels.

3. ducey

ducey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dogtanian, cheers for the info. Do you know if this card is compatible with Media Center?

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,716
    Think I'd rather pay the extra £10 and get the Nova that has a decent proven track record.

But good find anyway :)

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I would like to think that if you knew the Nova's track record you wouldn't touch it with a bargepole! Biggest problem with them was the supplied software, but with the abundance of 'front ends' now I suppose that part of the problem no longer exists.

6. bigdavie0

bigdavie0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info dogtanian could you supply me with the frequencies to unlock some ppv channels
    thanks m8:hiya:

7. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get eg 'Red Hot' by manually entering frequencies and PID's, as its hidden but unencrypted. It's not something discussable further on this forum, but readily available info on google.

8. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know as my PC is not used in the lounge.

Avoid anything made by Hauppage like the plague.

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,716
    I use my Nova with MCE and have no problems. I don't use their software at all so yours is probably a fair comment :)

10. Daniel Larruso

Daniel Larruso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, first post :hiya:

This looks like a real bargain to me but as a connection noob I have a couple of questions.

Is it possible to run a lead from my existing freeview set top box 'RF loop through' connection to the pci card, or would I have to buy a 1 to 2 splitter? If this is possible would there be any or much loss of quality if both are used at the same time?

Also, would this pci card have the relavent connections to enable me to transfer my old wedding video etc to dvd via the supplied software or something like Pinnacle Studios?

Thanks

11. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Doesnt that channel use VideoGuard which cant be broken or is that just on SKY?

I would love to know what places do have that info want trial run off the channel then if its any good pay for it sick of paying for stuff then it being crap

12. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No encryption on DTT like Setanta Sports. The video and audio arn't declared as video and audio so set top boxes don't know what to do with it until a bit of MHEG tells it. A bit like BBC Parliament. If you force your decoder to use a certain PID then it will try .... and work.

Is this considered to be 'illegal' to watch as the content isn't encrypted. You could argue that some set top boxes might attempt to decode all componenets it sees belonging to a service and therefore it would just work. How far from being an automatic process to hand cranking some numbers does legal and illegal become?

Can't say im interested in watching it myself as I doubt its much good.

13. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,716
    Doesn't sound too illegal to me as nobody is breaking any kind of encryption. Just doing some manual tuning. So, where can we find these details and can we put them into MCE? :rotfl:

14. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I would caution you all about the wisdom of discussing this openly. The forums do have to err on the side of caution. As has been stated above, a bit of reading on Google tells you what you need to know. Personally my own view is that there is no encryted content so you are not breaking the law, but there is a commercial interest and often that can be more compelling than the rule of law! It is certainly the commercial interests that pose the biggest threat to this community because they would seek to close the forum as the simplest solution to their problem.

15. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What shouldn't you do? Is this liek tweeking or putting a code and recieving all the SKY channels for free butthis being on Freeview?

16. Daniel Larruso

Daniel Larruso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone brought and installed one of these today?

I am having a nightmare trying to get mine to work. Has anyone ever came across this problem?

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

What happens is that when I install the DVB card and reboot my machine, there is a conflict with the graphics cards and I am only getting a 4 colour display and at a really low resolution. Going into control panel gives me the above error/conflict on my graphics card.

Any ideas?

17. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,716
    Do you have any other psare PCI slots? There might be a conflict that by installing it in another slot might resolve this.

18. Daniel Larruso

Daniel Larruso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I ws also reading around few places the cards are not that good better of adding few more quid and get better card.

20. CH3

CH3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Got one today. Installed. No channels found. Put on main house aerial (Freeview friendly) and found some channels. Tried portable aerial, found different channels. Re-scanned, no channels found. Rebooted, no channels found. Changed slots, some channels found. Added manual channel, found channels now not working. Re-scanned, no channels found.

Going back next week.

21. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CH3: I think freeview is always a little odd reception wise, and you need to find a solution that works for yourself. In my case this card gets better reception than my philips set-top box plugged into the same socket.

I had to download an updated version of the driver software to resolve tuning and system issues. I purchased mine in october 2004, so you may have updated software installed. I'm using driver version 213 if thats the same as yourself. Its a 117mb download.

22. dogtanian38

dogtanian38
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be correct, but I find it works, and just does its job as a video recorder. Anything I watch using it is on dvd-rw in the lounge, and it works flawlessly for these purposes.

23. CH3

CH3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    http://www.unisupport.net/

Had already tried new drivers, which are available from the above site, but latest version of application was linked to the k-world site and was running at 1.2kb/s for a 70MB file. left it running all night and finally got it. New app makes all the difference. Win MCE rebooted detecting channels though. Now getting most channels on even an indoor aerial. Just need to get the frequency, video pid and audio pid for missing channels to give them a bash.