1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital tuner cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by andrewq, Dec 21, 2004.

1. andrewq

andrewq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i was looking at a twin tuner PVR, but they all have small discs. Is it possible to fit two digital tuner cards in a PC and get them to function in the same way as a PVR? in other words is the software for this available? I'm in the market for a new PC so this would kill two birds with one stone.

2. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Apparently it can be done with MS Media Centre and 2 Black Gold digi cards...it's exactly what I want to do. It seems that Nebula are working on it too and their cards get highly rated (http://www.nebula-electronics.co.uk/)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I use a single nebula. When I'm recording on the nebula I use a freeview box into a sweetspot analogue capture card with Dscaler for alternate channel viewing.

Quality differences between the two are quite small with the sweetspot\dscaler being a little softer but with more effective deinterlacing. This probably works out a little more expensive than getting two digital tuner cards working but does give your HTPC an excellent analogue input pipeline into the bargain as the sweetspot can be used with any number of analogue inputs (using switchers). Mine gets used with the freeview box , a dvd player ,Xbox ,SVHS deck and at one stage also a PS2.

I can record on the nebula and watch via Dscaler at the same time with a P4 3.2 but it was also fine with a 1.4 P3.

4. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This should be possible with MythTV under Linux. I've had a single nebula card working under with MythTV on SUSE 9.1. I've had a second card sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed for about four months. Hopefully I'll get a chance to install it over the next two weeks!
    :rolleyes:

5. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE2005 with two Black Gold DVB cards will do exactly what you need today. Gives Sky+ functionality, record one channel while watching another or even record two while watching another pre-recorded.

6. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nebula e-mailed me a few weeks ago to say that their dual tuner package will be available in early January.

I don't think that you can process it with Dscaler or FFDShow unfortunately but this is beyond my technical knowledge and if anyone knows better I would be glad to hear.

I do know that the codecs used by MCE 2005 limit picture quality somewhat.

7. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can't process the live TV picture of the Nebula, but the timer recorded files are just normal MPEG2 files and can be played back by any suitable MPEG2 codec equipped application ( MediaPlayer, TheatreTek, ZoomPlayer, etc. ) and can thus be processed by FFDShow/DScaler and the rest.