1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital transfer of DVD-A (DVD-V)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Plump, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It seems like big names are slowly starting to develop digital transfer of DVD-A to their processors.
    But it looks like everyone is doing it their own way. This would mean if you want to use it you have to buy the same brand AV pre-amp and DVD player. Is that what they want us to do?
    Denon is introducing Denon link, Meridian clame to have something for their 861 too, Proceed will bring it's own thing out soon, TAG is waiting for DVI Panel Link AV - big confusion anyway!

I am not sure if any of these standards complements with full 5 channel 24/192 transfer. Denon surely not, for the others I do not know!

Is there any link or any place where one can read about it all, or is it still the unknown land?

Any experiences?

Cheers!
    Plump

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is a very good question indeed - I own a TAG AV32R but my next DVD player is unlikely to be one of the TAGs because of the cost so I'm likely to go for perhaps the Arcam FMJ DV27.

Now, if TAG and Arcam devise different ways of transferring DVD-A digitally then, presumably, I'd either have to get my AV32R upgraded with the 5.1 analogue inputs (costly and not ideal) or change the DV27 to a TAG DVD player or swop the TAG AV32R for the new Arcam processor.

Whichever way you look at it, it's costly and ultimately limits consumer choice.

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and that's exactly where I am at the moment. (Hadbanging how to put that AV32R upgrade financing together) DVD32R is as close to me as space shuttle is at the moment. Anf if there were unique standard for the dig. transfer there would have been some affordable DVD players around too! But the world seems to be cruel as it is . . .

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The whole industry is waiting for a proper standard here. DVI-CE looks the most likely long term contender as it can also handle full resolution video but it is not yet ready - probably 18 months away in real terms. I can't comment any more as like everyone else we are under NDAs (non disclosure agreements).

Even when it is ready it has to be formally approved for use in DVD players and this is bogged down in bureaucracy. It is not the DVD Forum but the modifications to the CSS licence and probably CPPM licence that will continue to hold things up. These have to be approved by the DVD CCA (Copy Control Association) and CPAC (Content Protection Advisory Council) and there are about 64 pages of bye - laws on how this needs to be done (and who needs to approve it (if it were not all so serious it would be laughable - rather like those convoluted arguments from Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister).

In the meantime the only fully approved (i.e. legal) hi-res DVD-A digital interconnect system that I know of is the Meridian one, which they absolutely had to do to support their digital links to their speakers. I understand that has proper approval from all parties after several years hard work, but only for themselves - they are explicitly not allowed to licence it to others. I don't think the other systems mentioned are fully approved to transmit hi-res or multichannel audio - for example try asking Denon what their's does if you want to replay hi-res DVD-A discs with CPPM copy protection on them (most major label discs have this) - I think you will find the system reverts to 2 channel 48 kHz. Of course I am happy to be shown to be mistaken.

In the meantime you will have to continue to use 6 channels of analogue !!

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Holy s . . . ,
    this is hell of a subject!
    Someone said in the series mentioned above: "Never underestimate Sir Humphrey!" but this looks even worse to me. But on the other side knowing this we all can lay down and watch things happening over next (three) years or so . . . And it is up to you Mr. Dawson (& Co) to put the right thing thru.

And after all it is always the bureaucracy that has to proof it's existence as necessary or at least to keep itself busy those two hours per day during the breaks from coffee breaks.

Cheers!
    Plump.