Digital to Analog cable, how does it work?

Italian Job

Hi everybody!
I recently saw some Sony WM port to RCA cable selling on the internet.... and I found the thing quite interesting.

How can a digital output use coaxial or RCA?
Is the cable itself converting the signal?
While we are about it, would you tell me if the quality of the signal would be affected?

I know this is possibly that dumbest question ever asked here, sorry and thanks! 😃

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
There is no such thing as a digital to analogue cable, you'd need a dac . They can be a little box but they'd need power

Italian Job

Thanks for clarifying that!
I don't mean to buy it I have a dac, but it puzzled me.
If this is a digital cable then can be connected to the RCA connectors on the dac?
SMSL SU-9 Balanced USB DAC Back Panel XLR Toslink Coax inputs Audio Review~2.jpg

6ft 2M LINE OUT audio RCA cable for SONY Walkman MP3 X S E A Series with WM-PORT | eBay

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Line out is analogue (out)

Propietary connector could have mixture of video, audio, digital or analogue audio- just depends on the device. Could also be inputs or outputs also. Like USB carries tons of things from high charging power, audio, video, network etc.

So if you have a MD player that will you allow you to use the MD as a source. Or record to it. All depends on what that connector has.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
If it's analogue line out, which it looks like it is, then you plug that cable into a standard left and right analogue audio RCA input on a stereo integrated amplifier.

Better if the MP3 player had digital out, not many do, iriver h120/H140 have I've used those before as sources into a DAC/AV pre

gibbsy

The outputs you have marked are, as described above, is an analogue out. The other three pronged outlets are balanced analogue. You will find the digital inputs on the left of the photograph which are digital optical and digital coax. The digital to analogue conversion is done within the unit.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Just be aware if you plug that dac analogue output with that cable to Sony you'll damage one or both as both are outputs

Italian Job

Ok thanks guys!
I got it now, I won't plug anything to those outputs!
My Walkman player use a digital out as standard, Sony wm port to usb, that's why I got confused when I saw that cable.
Maybe as you suggested it also allows to be used as a source via line out....

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom