1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Terrestrial TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rob90+, Sep 24, 2001.

1. rob90+

rob90+
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise me please ?

I currently have OnDigital prepaid which is about to expire and I'm looking to replace it with a digial TV. I live in an area with a pretty good digital signal, but I was interested in anyone's experience with digital TV's and which are the best. I'm considering the Sony KV32DX30 TV as it seems on it's own with regards to picture quality (not sure about sound) - am I right ??? Any views appreciated!!

Also, if digital TV is going to be 'the norm', why can I only find about 4 models, but hundereds of Analogue ones - makes me very suspicious !!!??????

Rob

2. rob90+

rob90+
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your valued info!

How do you find the sound of the Sony, as this is my only reservation as is doesnt come with any external speakers ?

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Sony IDTVs are excellent

I've got a KV32DX20 - very good digital picture.

Better picture than using a box

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    My first OnDigital box died after 6 months and OnDigital just swapped it with a DigitalTV then I would have had a lot more hassle.

IMHO renting the box with the subscription is safer. It puts the hardware hassle on ITVDigital and if they decide to change or upgrade in future (like Sky plus) then you just get a new box from ITVD.

If I were you I would stick with a set top box for now and buy a decent TV with plenty of inputs.<br />This leaves you with flexibility if you decide cable and/or satellite are more attractive in future.

AMc

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Sony IDTVs don't sound bad, the mother in laws 28" DX30 is ok.

With my KV32DX20 I use my STRDB930 which is better sound that any telly

Basically don't worry about the TV sound the Wegas can go loud without sounding too bad as the chassis are strong. But after a TV start saving for a mid range AV amp/receiver

Don't buy Sony E-Line amps - too hissy!

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also considering upgrading to IDTV from an STB and have decided to rent the Sony from Box Clever as you get a years subscription free (basic) and I don't want to buy equipment that will become obsolete in a year or so.

S

7. rob90+

rob90+
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your comments!

I've just got a Sony KD32DX40 TV, which works a treat!!!

Rob :)

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    New model - what is it like?

9. rob90+

rob90+
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very easy to use. I think the program guide is a new or updated feature (looks very pretty!!). Shame about only 2 scarts. Sound is'nt as good as I'd hoped for, but I've got a raging cold at the moment, so this may just be me!!!. Got it from unbeatable.co.uk - just over £1,000 - not bad. Only had it a couple of days, so anything else come to mind I'll post it here!

Rob :D

10. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Arghh, I cant believe it I only ordered the DX30 on the fourth of this month from Comet, having failed to pricematch at John Lewis at the stock stage.

I will have to hope for a provable fault in the thirteen days I have left.

What version of the EPG is it ? Mine is version 1.1. Is there (analogue) teletext sub-page navigation ?

I find the input autoswitching really annoying each time I press stop/play on my video it switches inputs even if it is already on the correct one!

To record digital programmes do you still have to set the epg+video. I find this really annoying as the epg does not contain the full weeks viewing, and the video doesn't have TVLink.

I have noticed that if look at the screen whilst the TV is off, there is a strange 3/4 Inch dark patch on the right hand side of the screen. I had a look at my old Sony 14" Portable, and this also has a similar patch as a percentage of the screen. I wonder if this is a common Sony problem, although my sister 15 year old Sony portable does not.

The digital channel switching does not seem that slow, it takes about 2 seconds when switching between digital and instantaneous on analogue changing.

The sound quality is terrible on this model too although NICAM on analogue channels sounds a lot better.

How was the geometry on delivery ? On my set the 4:3 pictures have black bars at the top and bottom of varying degrees depending on the amount of overscan transmitted. None of the channels have any picture in the overscan area.

I noticed the SCARTs on the new modals have to RGB capable sockets. Is one of these S-Video capable.

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I find the sound on my kp-41ds1 quite hissy when fed to my Amp, but my Pace digi box is crystal clear when fed to the Amp.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Oh dear, IDTV owners....
    If you could only wait until next spring, when we will see the start of many 'free to air' STBs for as little as £150.

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the attractions of an IDTV for most people is that you don't have and extra ugly box with an extra remote control.

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    These FTA boxes would be alright for a vcr tuner. But the Sony IDTV tuner is very good.

The Sony IDTV is the best quality digital TV picture I have seen