1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Tape Loop?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mark67, Nov 8, 2003.

1. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tag AV32r SP has just returned from Tag having had the192 kHz DAC's Fitted. Much improved on the 94kHz Dac, much clearer and open and a wider sound stage.
    I would recommend anyone who is thinking about upgrading their DAC's in the AV32, to do so.

I had the 192kHz DAC's in my Tag DPA 32 Pre/Dac, but they didn't sound as good as they do in the AV32. Strange really, I was expecting them to be alike.

Tag have also Fitted a Digital Tape loop:confused: .
    Can someone explain what this is and more importantly an example of how I would use it?

Cheers.

2. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AV32Rs prior to the 192/24 upgrade could only output digital sources on the digital outputs, now that you've got the DAC upgrade the digital outputs will do analogue sources as well. Only useful if you've got someting connected to the digital output like a minidisc or CD recorder.

3. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    cskates,
    here's additional information to complete the facts:
    TAG introduced this loop inofficially a bit earlier, so there are even some AV32R in the field with this loop, but without 192kHz and bp.
    The only way to find it out is to give helpdesk your SN and they should be able to tell you. Or you simply try it on your unit :)

4. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how would I connect my Minidisc up?
    Do I take the digital out on my MD and connect it to an analogue I/P on my AV32?
    Digital only uses a single cable.

Have I got the idea wrong?

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mark67,
    reading your posts I never know if you just make jokes with all of us or you mean it seriously? Starting with speaker conections on AV32R (?!) up to this one. You are very probably the only one having AV32R who does not know these things.
    My advice is to read the manual first.
    If it was no joke: I did not intend to offend you but I simply can not believe this :)

6. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No joke intended.

My AV32 is a reconditioned bought directly from TAG, I think it's DOB is late 2000. Thats why it had the 92Khz dac's, that I have just had replaced.
    I have never heard of a 'Digital Tape Loop' and the Manual doesn't metion it either. If in doubt ask. As I was once told.
    That's what I have done. :p.

I do know how to connect all my other kit to the AV32 now I have had it a couple of weeks (192 Upgrad taking 2 weeks also).
    When I first orderd from TAG I didn't know much about the AV32.
    So I am still learning.

ATB.

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then I'd advise you to read as many as possible (technical) threads from the past of TAG Forum. There are/were pretty many smart heads there (some of them posting here too as I can see). A lots to learn from them.

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now sold my 32r with the 192dac's but mine did allow for the tape out to see a digital input mixed down to stereo.

There was a turn it on and hold down button trick to get into the loop management.

Rgds

9. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me how to do the same?