Digital T.V. = RUBBISH !!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tel boy, May 29, 2001.

1. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have seen quite a few digital T.V. Set-ups and to be honest none of them can't hold a candle to my 5 analogue channels for picture quality / sharpness.
    $*Y , On D**ital , Cab*e D**ital .All 3 have major problems. Ranging from basic faults like having to reset the s.t.b. If you have flicked through the channels too quickly, and the constant freezing of images on the screen. Worse of all is the Pixilation of the picture on moving objects. Whatever happened to the
    “Pin sharp pictures” that Digital T.V. was supposed to deliver.
    Soap box time.
    Hang on a moment this is starting to ring a few bells. Weren't we promised “THE WORLD” a few years back when they invented CDs? What happened in reality? We have a product that is no better than the one it replaced how many of you have had a C.D. that sticks / crackles or hisses or just will not play? And we are still paying double the price of what a L.P. was.
    I agree that analogue T.V is limited in terms of channels but are we really that desperate for extra channels (most of which probably never get viewed any way that's why they are bundled together as a package). If you could pick & pay per channel how many of the channels currently available would be subscribed to? So basically they are giving us crap channels with poor picture quality (in most cases worse than the analogue system it is replacing).
    MY POINT
    It amazes me to read some of the posts on this forum, there's lots of people out there complaining about T.V. conveyance, slight bending of the picture, etc., and yes I strongly agree if you are going to, or have paid a lot of money for a T.V. set you expect it to be faultless.
    But what of the picture quality you are watching on it?
    Pause for thought before you sign that credit agreement, or hand over your hard earned, because as history has proved it certainly isn't going to get any better!

What do you think ???
    Regards & Respect Tel. :)

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the main problem is though . what alternative do we have . i personaly hardly ever watch bbc ect. and if i do i prefere the wide screen version. i admit that a good analog signal looks better than digital but even the best dvd has some pixelisation (but would we all go back to tape for that). how many of us actualy get a good analog sig though .i for one could never get one. i am surounded by cb radio owners and all i get is stange lines and stuff

i would love hdtv , but we have to face up to the fact that it aint going to hapen any time soon . hopfully they with improve the bit rate in the future we can only hope .

the main thing i and a lot of others are hopeing for is the start of dd . that would be nice

what it all boils down to is you'r tast. everyone would like to get rid of the channels they don't watch and up the quality . the main problem is diferent people would dump diferent channels. so no mater what the operator dose there will be complaints .
    the other thing is cost for sky at least . they pay for transponders so try and stick as many channels as they can . more channels= more advertising revenue.
    i have sky dig . it may not be what it can be but is still better than what it replaced.yes we have pixelisation but have lost the grain. pluss i tend to get a better pic in storms . don't know if it's just the location of the dish but it tends to cut out a lot less in bad rain .

all the above is just my opinion but i think it is valid
    simon

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tel Boy,

Come and see my Toshiba 46WHO8B using both On Digital and Sky Digital and I'' have oyu eating your words. The pictures are stunning and the interference you refer to using a set top box has been dealt with. You will find chat about it elsewhere on this site, but the problem was caused by BBC Teletext although it was played down. Since it was remedied my On Digital box has never locked up. What's more, it doesn't suffer the problem of heavy rain hitting the satellite dish face on!

Dave

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I find terristial digital TV can be pretty good, providing you don't get interferance.

Our washing machine is a pain!!

But the quality on the FTA channels CAN be very good, however sometimes it is terrible. With a clean source the picture can be stunning.

My Sony KV32DX20 has had all updates and is a pleasure to use. TV may be slow to decode but I only watch about 3 of those channels.

The best thing about digital is 16x9 broadcasts!