1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital switch-over plan outlined

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by muji63, Sep 15, 2005.

1. muji63

muji63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I would just be happy with some freeview coverage!, even channel 5 would be nice.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I am sure you are aware that SKY do a non-subscription system for £150 which would serve you well until DTT coverage is expanded and it's a reasonable price if you used it until 2011.

Of course in 18-24 months CH4 and Five may be FTA so you could then go with a non SKY satellite system.

4. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I think it's ridiculous the way the government is pushing forward digital TV by closing down terrestrial television in just three years for some parts of the country. While I agree digital TV is great and can offer us with more choice, currently cannot offer an equivalent or better service than terrestrial. Television is the thing that just about everybody can afford from all walks of life and digital is going to cost more than it benefits.

Okay apparently 60 odd per cent have access to digital TV but how many of those can watch digital in another room? I imagine the average house has two , three or even four TV's, so while set-top boxes only cost around £50 ...each, if you want to watch television in another room after the terrestrial shut down you going to have to buy multiple boxes when the current terrestrial television signal can be viewed on any television as standard at no extra cost.

At the moment if you want to watch one channel and record another channel because to programs are clashing with one another you can on terrestrial. With digital you can't unless you have expensive Sky + boxes which those less well-off cannot afford just to carry on with an equivalent service to which they are getting now.

Currently if you wanted to tape something to watch later then decide you want to find out the football scores or check what is on telly later on Teletext/Ceefax. You can carry on recording unaffected while you find out your information... With digital you record Teletext losing the programme you're recording or it becomes a tiny box combined with digital text, which is also a lot slower to bring up pages.

I don't know what Freeview is like but Sky (through a satellite dish) loses the picture in bad weather. It pixilates badly before showing absolutely no picture while terrestrial TV works absolutely fine with virtually no degradation in picture under the same weather conditions.

Personally I believe the government is absolutely wrong closing-down terrestrial TV so soon without providing an equivalent service at the very least to replace it. Surely the majority of TV's being sold should be digital enabled so close to the shut down yet analogue TVs still dominate the market! :thumbsdow

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always laugh when i read about digitals better picture quality and sound, NICAM is streets ahead of the 2 channel sound you hear on most digital channels and starving the bitrate does not lead to better picture quality, terrestrial with an aerial may not be perfect but it can provide better picture and sound quality than most digital bitrate starved channels.

The goverment wants to sell off the analogue frequencies and make billions thats why they are speeding ahead with this.

Why should people pay for a licence fee ? digital would allow those that want the BBC to have it and those that do not want it can choose not to have it its that simple.

6. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second that! I don't see why everybody should pay for a service they don't hardly use and I personally would opt out of having the BBC or put up with advertising so that I could watch it for free