Digital Surround Sound Inputs to Analog Outputs

GB452

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I kinda messed up (it was 7+ months since I used the surround system......but yes I should have double-checked....) and have a blu-ray player that has analog surround sound....while my 5.1 system has digital...

rOA4VcFl.jpg

OzeSFwrl.jpg

I'm guessing a convertor box, where I plug in both on either side....which hopefully doesn't result in audio degradation....

Anyone use such a device?

Last edited:
What is your surround system?
The bluray player will have at least a HDMI output that will output digital sound. I would also be surprised if it did not have an optical or coaxial output as well. What player is it?
The top picture looks like plugs from a PC speaker set and are analogue sound connection and not digital. Is it a PC speaker set you have?
If so you just need some cables that convert 3.5mm connection to 2 phono connectors. You then connect the relevant 3.5mm from the speakers to the corresponding phono output on the player (may take a little trial and error).

I think these are analogue. They look like the sort of connector, which is used for computers to computer type surroundsound systems. Perhaps if you give is a picture of the speakers and subwoofer. In which case you need some kind of converter wire basically a minijack to phoneo the complication is the number of contacts on each minijack I do not know that these Leads are readily available

My applogies, I must be a tad too tired to think clearly when posting before, but its a Logitech Z-5500 system and a Samsung BD-F7500 player.

The back of the control "pod":
c1QeGY3.jpg

Which connects to the subwoofer,

Zo6ccSW.jpg

and that goes to the various speakers (apparently there's a slightly different model that doesn't take traditional speaker wire...sorta wish I had gotten that one for easier connections).

*edit*

I suppose given the optical on both the "control pod" and player I could use the optical cable (well, presuming I can find it...)
EAOUoNLl.jpg

Last edited:
The optical cable will be easiest but will not give you hd audio. That said, with the equipment you have I do not think it will really matter so stick with optical. Any optical cable will do so buy a new one if can not find other one.

Yeah, managed to find it (the one time I remember to put it in my desk drawer even without a single use for it prior to just now!) and everything sounds pretty good.

While looking into the Z5500 I found that they've made an upgrade to the Z906, though perhaps it'd be best to find a system that has HDMI support.

Something like the Yamaha 196 from Richer Sounds would be much better than the Logitech.

:confused:
What is the issue here? I am not sure what the OP is asking.

Is it "how do I connect Bluray to Speakers?"

Edit:
OK I see you have fixed it using the optical cable. I would have thought analogue would be better and use the sound decoding on the bluray player.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom