1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answered Digital surround sound gone!

Discussion in 'Playstation VR' started by Jonashess, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jonashess

Jonashess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have my PS4 Pro connected to PSVR to Samsung tv and an HDMI cable from the TV to my receiver.

Before I got my PSVR I always played games in surround sound. It just automatically chose Dolby or DTS 5.1. As long as the game/movie support it of cause.

But ever since I hooked up the PSVR I only get 2 channel PCM sound to the receiver. I have read other post about this where people say that they need to switch the breakout box off to get surround again but this changes nothing for me.

I even tried completely disconnecting the breakout box, USB and HDMI and connecting the PS4 directly to the TV, just like I had it before I got PSVR and it still just sends stereo PCM to the receiver.
    (I have checked that all audio settings on the TV, PS4 and receiver are the same as they always have been.)

Any ideas?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #9 by GlennTidbury, Jan 13, 2018 (1 points)
  3. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Have got double checked your settings in the ps4 menus?

The video and audio settings are actually stored on different "profiles", for lack of a better term, for each display you connect it to.

It's actually quite a handy feature because it means I can force 1080p when the ps4 is connected to vr, and then force 2160p when I'm connected direct to the TV for hdr and other non vr games.

I think audio setting by default is pcm, so if you're wanting to pass through dd or dts you'll need to set that again even if you'd set it prior to getting the vr.

Once you've set it for the psvr box it will remember this setting even if you subsequently connect to another display and then go back to vr box later.

4. Jonashess

Jonashess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah its always been set to PCM on the PS4. I can't see it changing when turning the headset on or off. Anyway tried all the options in audio settings and it just doesn't do anything. Just stays at Linear PCM 2.0 on the receiver.

5. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    If its on pcm on the ps4 then you'll only get pcm from the TV too..... You need to set the ps4 to bitstream either dolby or dts.

6. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    It won't change when you turn the headset on or off, but it will be set differently if you're connected to the psvr unit or connected direct to the TV.

7. Jonashess

Jonashess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It has worked until now with the PS4 on PCM and the TV on Dolby Digital.

8. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Only thing I can think it that previously was passing 5.1 (or probably 7.1) PCM from the ps4, and that your tv was then re-encoding it back to dts or dd 5.1 before passing it to your system? and that the psvr breakout box doesn't support passthrough of the pcm format above 2.0 channels?

Basically, selecting PCM on a device means that IT decodes the dts/dolby soundtrack from the content and passes it as raw data (pcm) to your sound system.

Bitstream on the other hand means that the device itself just passes the soundtrack, as is, from the disc, and then your sound system does the decoding.

There aren't many TV's that can accept and then either process or passthrough PCM above 2 channels, so PCM is usually only chosen if the device is going to be connected directly to the sound system, or that you only want 2 channel anyway, and you believe the device to do a better job of decoding than the sound system.

Hope that makes sense?

Basically, you'll need to set the ps4 to bitstream if you want to pass 5.1 audio through the psvr breakout box.

I'm surprised that your tv was able to handle more than 2 channel pcm before to be honest....but it seems that for the psvr processor box, you'll need to select bitsream.

The end result will be the same anyway.

Also note that for movies, they don't use the system settings from the ps4 menus, so you'll need to select bitstream from the settings menus while playing a movie too to pass surround form blu rays etc.

9. Jonashess

Jonashess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the clearing up. I have tried selecting Bitstream on the PS4 but nothing happen. Will try to restart it after choosing it and set the TV to PCM when I get home.

10. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Best Answer
    Nah, you want BOTH set to bitstream and just let the receiver decode the soundtrack. So set the ps4 and TV to bitstream, this will pass the soundtrack as is to your sound system/receiver which will then decode it and send the sound to the speakers. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  11. Jonashess

Jonashess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, thanks :) Will try it.

12. Jonashess