1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital storage devices

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RobertP, Jun 1, 2003.

1. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a new camera. It is 5mp so it is capable of making sizable picture files. With my existing memory cards and using best quality jpeg I might get 100 pictures. Last year on holiday I took 470 with my old camera....and smaller files of course.
    Another 1Gb of CF is likely to be around £150. I've been looking at other options. The Archos multimedia thing here costs more but would mean I could use uncompressed photo sizes and have mp3's on hard drive. The video playback side is possibly a gimmick but the cost of other makes without a screen is not much different. Its a bit slow with only USB 1 (without an optional extra) but I can live with that.
    I was wondering if anyone here has a hard drive based picture 'wallet' type device and if there are any opinons on alternate brands?

Robert

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    xdrive there are 2 versions 1 and 2. Version 1 is USB 1.1, think the 2nd version has USB 2 and an LCD display

Basically no frills version of the device on ebuyer and a lot cheaper. www.scan.co.uk sell it naked so you choose the HDD

£70 for the xdrive + what ever 2.5 inch hard drive you want 20 G is about 60 or 60G is 130

so for £200 you get a 60 G portable hard drive.

Not got one myself but have recommended it to others who have gone for it and been very happy

Also the xdrive looks like a HD can be used for PC backups as well as a photo tool

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 4mp camera and faced the same problems - so I bought an "Archos multimedia thing"
    It's a great tool - I've got Video, Music and pictures on it....
    It can be tricky to sort out the video - but this site has been a lot of help to me....
    http://shanebrinkmandavis.com/homepage/JBMM/
    It's great when we go away as we've got our music and some video's that we can entertain ourselves with... whilst also being able to 'upload' the pictures we've taken.....

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Found it http://www.xs-drive.com/.

But shop around and youll get them 30% cheaper!!! especially if you get your own HDD

5. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The x's drive was the first thing I thought of. I'd seen it on Scan's 'today only' page a while back. The search for thier site was broken when I tried (in vain) to find it yesterday.
    If they still list it - any idea of where?

Meanwhile I went into my local camera store (colledgecameras) who are listed on the X'S drive website. The MKII drive does not have a hdd you can fit yourself. I held a 40G MKII model and it seemed on the large side with all the card slot bays making it bulky I suppose. They wanted £250 for it - not much less than the JBMM 20.
    I have a very good mp3 player already so even though its a bit bigger a MKI with a cheap hdd seems a sensible and cheaper option.
    Shoehorn... I joined a Yahoo group for the JBMM to see what people complain about. Battery life seems to be the biggest moan. The battery seems to age and lose capacity from what i read.Have you found that?

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its in scan under cards and readers.

www.scan.co.uk

The todayonly page changed a while back.

7. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd looked there before and not seen it! Just hesitating now at the trust factor involved. With a screen you know your pictures are safely on the disk......but then its twice the price.
    I'll order something tonight..
    Thanks nunew33

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Robert. I know of three people who have bought this from scan nd havent looked back.

Having a picture doesnt make the process any more secure!!!!

One would assume that none of them wipe the card on upload so as long as you get an LED saying you uploaded ok theLCD really isnt adding anything other than a review feature!

9. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair shout re: battery life - mine's not up to the 8 hrs that Archos say... it's one of those where you have to completely discharge it - then re-charge - a couple of times... and the battery seems to improve a touch... 5 hrs is probably the best I've had for MP3 - it's less for video - but in reality I don't watch video on the move - I tend to use it as a player for the young 'uns when we go away and then there will be power.....

10. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've made up my mind twice now on what to buy and changed it!
    just bid on a v. small libretto laptop for the same money. Didn't win it though.
    If its not multi purpose then I like the idea of a USB2 device as it would be fast enough to use as a backup drive when not on photo duty. Decisions decisions....

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yesterday one of the blokes i recommended to brought his xdrive in and gave me the sales pitch.

Although it has no LCD display the LEDs state media type and progress. They will also indicate an error, but in 2months he hasnt had one so cant tell what it would do.

It creates a subdirectory for each photo download and looks like a hard drive when connected to USB.

He took it on honeymoon to Alaska and was the only one with an image tank amongst many digicam owners. He ended up archiving photos for several people he met!!!! He should have charged for this as it would have paid for it in no time.

Needless to say very happy with this low tech solution

12. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read loads about xdrive and others. I'm considering the vhs tape sized libretto as it might get used more than 2 weeks a year.
    If I don't get one at a sensible price in the next week or two then I'll just get a xdrive - but probably the mkII as usb2 is so much faster and it can be used as a portable hdd.

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you do post your findings and what price you paid. Id be interested. I may be going down this root as soon as i know where im going on holiday!

14. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well today I won an auction for a libretto (£163). Assuming it arrives Ok next week I'll report back how its working out.
    The topic has recently been discussed (not by me) on a Oly. user list I'm on. Couple of people there are using sub notebooks for storage. One guy plugs in the camera frequently - reviews the pictures (at a decent size) and then gets back out of his car and re takes the bad ones! Can't see me ever doing that but its nice to have the option.

15. Valentine_au

Valentine_au

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note... I've owned a Xs-Drive One with a 20GB HDD since October 2002. Took it on holiday and snapped off about 1400 shots plus assorted 30sec movies on my Canon G2. I ended up using only 2.2GB of storage space. I love it.

The downside is its USB 1.1 speed. Ok for photos, but if you are planning on backing up your PCs HDD its a little slow. The new Xs-Drive 2 with its USB 2 speed should be alot better for that. Also I've noticed a bug that if you delete pics off your memory card with the camera in between downloads to the Xs-Drive then a shot or two may be corrupted on the download. A simple work around this is to not delete the pics off the card but to format the entire memory card in the camera after you download to the Xs-Drive One. The Xs-Drive One it seems dosen't like the gaps in the memory. I'm not sure if this has been resolved in Xs-Drive 2.

Another thing make sure your Xs-Drive is fully charged before you go out for an important photoshoot.

Cheers Val

16. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that so far I am very pleased with my little laptop approach. It has an excellent sharp screen 800x480 and is great for sorting good pics from bad. For a lowly P166 it performs very well.
    I have bought a new battery (£44) and a pcmcia usb2 card (£13). I can plug my camera in and download the picture files anywhere now. the battery lasts 3 hours.
    The Libretto only has a 2gig drive so I have about 1 gig of space for *good* pictures. In case that was not enough and to take more games, media files etc. with me I have just ordered a usb2 laptop drive based external unit - 30G for about £85 and v small.
    I've ended up with a bigger solution than the xs drive but I can do so much more it's worth it.