1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital sound

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by doncorleone, May 19, 2003.

1. doncorleone

doncorleone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, as some programs say avaiable in surrond sound where avaiable (yes i cant spell avaiable!) :blush: i was just wondering how this is actually possible? I have got a scart to 2 phono going from my tv to my amp but it only sounds good using left right and sub.

So is the only way to have surrond by having a tv with dolby digital already in it or something? :confused:

cheers guys

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They are referring to either Dolby Pro Logic which is an analogue format which encodes a centre and rear channel into stereo or Dolby Surround (an older version) which encodes a rear channel in addition to the L & R channels. The newest version of analogue surround is Dolby Pro Logic II which has Front L&R, Rear L&R and a centre.

The difference between these formats is that in the orginal broadcast there is no discreet label that routes each channel to a speaker. Instead, minor phasic differences are used to tell the receiving equipment which speaker to use. Obviously this isn't as good as digitally encoded surround sound but creates an atmosphere nonetheless :)

So to get this surround "where available" you need a TV (or an amp) that is able to decode Dolby Pro Logic.
    I hope that this makes some sense!