1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital sound from a 'dvd player' all the same ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by snow-munki, Aug 15, 2005.

1. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Wasn't sure where to place this but... does the optical out on say a PS2 / PC / DVD player all produce the same sound ?

If i'm using an optical out cable and plug them all to the same amp and speakers would it produce the same sound ? As digital is just 0's and 1's right so it should be all the same ??

just trying to figure out how to setup my new system. As I have a PS2 and was thinking of using that to watch DVD's and also have a PC and use that to watch divx movies.

Or is it best to be a dedicated dvd/divx player ??

Thanks and hope that makes sense !!

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sound wise the PS2 offers Dolby Digital and DTS, but the quality wont be as nice as a dedicated DVD player.
    Even if the sound is digital, it still needs to be converted to analog so we can hear it.
    I dont recomend using a PS2 as a DVD player. You need to look at things like the digital/analog converters if you are using analog cables for video and sound.

If you want to upscale the picture of your DVDs to 720p or 1080i then you would need a DVD player that can do that.
    PS2s wont do any kind of scaling. I dont think it even offers pregresive.

Cable wise, you also need to consider the quality of the cables you want to use. A cheap cable wont sound as nice as a higher qualith one.

As for Divx. Since ive never used a dedicated player I couldnt say, but ive been using a HTPC hooked up to my plasma and it works fine with good picture and resolution. (1600X1200) im not sure if a divx player can do the same.

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    As the D/A conversion of the digital sound is done in the A/V amp, not the PS2, then I doubt you'll get too much difference from a DVD player. The picture is another matter, though.

I'd say the PS2 is about on a par with a cheap DVD player in terms of performance, especially later models with the improved drivers. But contol via the gamepad is a pig, so for that reason alone I wouldn't use one.

Regards

Mark

4. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks very much guys. Cleared that one up :)