1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Sound Cable help please

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Canary_Jules, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Hi all. I have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 with breakout box and MSI DVD Rom. I intend to connect my Yamaha 5540 RDS AV Receiver to my breakout box using optical out and to bypass the sound processing capabilities of the soundblaster. I believe that I need a digital cable connection between the soundcard and the DVD ROM to do this. Currently I am using the standard analog connection between the two but the DVD has a two-pronged 'digital out' slot. Am I right in thinking that I can only use the bypass feature if I have this digital cable? And, if so where can I get this cable from?

Thanks in advance,

Jules

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    No I think you are fine . I always thought those little two prong cables were for analogue out of the dvd drive to the soundcard ( totally pointless).

You should be fine: enabling digital output for the drive might be necessary in the properties page but for dvd I don't even think thats necessary.

All the data should be passed through the IDE channel to the PCI bus.

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Cheers. This is not really something I can test at the moment as it will be another four weeks until my cinema room is built and I can finally put all my equipment together - my pc with my HS10 and Yammy etc. So does anyone know definitively what that little 'digital out' on the DVD does?

Jules

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it does just that - digital out. but as i recall the voltages are different to the normal sp-dif, so i wouldnt bother touching it.

Mr.D is right - that cable is for analogue and as long as you have winxp or better it isnt even needed since audio is extracted digitally down the ide cable. I havnt used one for years:)

5. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wrong and right

you don't need the cable, however it is not an analogue connection either. Think about it, how can you get analogue stero down a cable with only 2 wires? The analogue connection on the DVD has 4 connection, L, R and grounds.

The digital connection was used for connecting to certain sound cards that could use it, and some DVD decoding cards iirc. It never really caught on as you can now enable digital audio playback in windows and it sends the signal down the IDE cable instead.

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i was talking about the analogue cable lol

7. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable with 2 connections isnt for analogue tho :)