Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Digital SLR

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by barongreenback, Sep 15, 2005.

1. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Morning all

I'm looking to splash some cash on a digital SLR. At the moment I'm looking at the Canon EOS350d, the Nikon D50 or D70s. Generally I'm looking around that price range. The camera needs to last me for a good few years, I'm also looking to use it for a photography course next year and naturally I want the best performer for the money.

What would your suggestions be and what are the best deals out there (ideally body and lens deals)?

Thanks.

2. kenlynch

kenlynch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got my 350D from Best Cameras (otherwise known as Kamera)

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Canon_Eos_Digital_SLR.html
    http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Nikon_Digital_DLR_cameras.html

They were pretty good and have some reasonable body+lens packages. I am biased towards Canon seeing as I own one, they have a great range of lenses and accessories but you can't go wrong with either brand. The 350D is a great camera, quite rugged despite its plastic body, and with the extra battery grip you get a vertical grip and extra power if you use two batteries.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd narrow it down to the D70 or the 350. Both very good cameras and offer more then the 50. Canon do have the biggest selection of lenses out there, but nikon also makes fine lenses and more then you'd ever need. The 350 has the new digic chip in it, that really makes life easier at high ISO's. It's images are up there with the 20D (which i own)

One important thing about what camera you buy is how it feels, some feel the 350 is too small, im one of those people. Yes you can add a grip but my 20D feels perfect already and i can add a grip to my 20D.

But the above is a subjective, and plenty of people love its size. You need to hold them both and see how they feel to you.

Here's a side by side http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...ide&cameras=canon_eos350d,nikon_d70s&show=all

4. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a D70s although I did get into Jessops yesterday and the 350d felt a little plasticky if you know what I mean. Thanks for the links as well - very helpful indeed.

5. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    check this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241747
    I own the 350D + battery grip . ( had a 35mm film eos hence the bias ) If you dont like how it feels dont buy it but in relation to the plasticky feel it really is sturdier than first impressions portray . 5 months on I havent got a proper case for it and it still looks spotless. Jessop are also doing a silver ( non black) type finish .
    Depending on your use for it and pocket, Canon 20D is actually more substantial than both the 350d or d70. The overall standard of D-SLRs now is that you will take great pics with whichever of them you eventually settle for ( and learn to love) LOL!
    Good luck