Digital SLR, or Compact?? Any advice?

Unlight

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to buy a new camera. However, I simply dont know what to go for.

It will be mainly used for snapshots, as well as the occasional small intimate gig sessions, so it has to be good in low light without flash.

However, I'm a complete novice when it comes to photography. Will a DSLR completely baffle me? Im scared I simply wont be able to use it.

Also, if I go for a DSLR, I wont be able to afford any extras for ages, so I'll be "stuck" with the kit lens -will this be any good for my needs?

Any help or info would be very much appreciated!

"good in low light without flash" is not something that applies to compact digicams in my experience. DSLR's can be used up to iso 1600, or even more, and are ideal for gigs etc.

I thought that too - however I've seen one compact - the Fuji F10 compact that takes pics at up to ISO 1600!

If left in auto mode an SLR is no more complicated to use than a compact camera; you switch it on, frame your shot and press the shutter release.

The kit lens will not really be very useable in low light. You could take advantage of the versatility of SLRs and use something like the Canon 50mm/F1.8 lens. This is available for less than £60, is a good lens, and gives you 2 stops more aperture than the typical kit lens.

Bill

My advice re that would be beware! A lot of compacts go to iso800, but at that speed are so noisy you can't use the pics.

DSLR's are much better than compacts in low light without flash but it may be an expensive purchase for only "occassional gigs". Also you wont be getting anywhere near the full potential out of the camera if you only stick to Auto and the kit lense.

Yeah have to admit that indoors my prosumer compact is a bit dissapointing. With flash the pics can be washed out, without they are simply too noisy and grainy. Occasionally it comes up trumps but not enough of the time.

Personally I dont think the DLRS are worth the extra cost & weight overall, but for this scenario they do come into their own.

Thanks for the help so far!

To be honest, I think I would probably be sticking with the kit lens and a DSLR on Auto if I were to get one.

Can anyone recommend a decent compact camera for gig shots etc? :)

Many thanks!

MattB1 said:
DSLR's are much better than compacts in low light without flash but it may be an expensive purchase for only "occassional gigs". Also you wont be getting anywhere near the full potential out of the camera if you only stick to Auto and the kit lense.

if you get a 350D and a 50mm f1.8 it'll be ideal for gigs. i shoot primerily live gig photography and i use a 20D +50mm and its great,

a 50mmf1.8 for a canon is only about £70 which is bargainiferous!

and once you get doing it its great fun, you'll ditch the auto mode and really start playing! :D

I am a complete newbie to photography though. I get confused by aperture, timings, ISO ratings, its all jargon to me :( :(

Any advice? Leaning towards a Fuiji Finepix F10 at the moment just for the sheer simplicity!!

Unlight said:
I am a complete newbie to photography though. I get confused by aperture, timings, ISO ratings, its all jargon to me :( :(

Any advice? Leaning towards a Fuiji Finepix F10 at the moment just for the sheer simplicity!!

well with the 20D i just smack it onto iso400-800, in apature priority mode set to 1.8 and snap away :) unless im after something different, its all about the composition

How about going for the likes of a second hand 300D?

Would that be a good compromise?

Unlight said:

yeh quite possibly it would

Unlight said:

Or even a new 300D!
I picked mine up a month ago for £350ish without lens though (already an eos 35mm user so the lenses I have are compitable) :)
Whether its a compromise is another matter, if you want to use a 35mm SLR or a DSLR anywhere near its potential then be prepared for a learning curve!
It will all come in time though, buy/play/learn and enjoy :thumbsup:

Any tips on where to pick up second hand bargains such as the 300D?

i've tried ebay, but they seem to be going for quite high (£450 ish) used at the moment!

Bought mine from Jessops in Bradford, clearing old stock I guess, I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to find a 300d body only for similar online and don't assume ebay is the cheapest!
I've seen some silly things go for silly money :rolleyes:

DLSR allow yu to change lens, the lens can be expensive. Compacts dont allow lens change but some like Konica Dimage A2 have a 7x telephoto range which extends to 200mm. Top end compacts may have bigger megapixels but this is balanced out by other features on a DLSR (aperture , shutterspeed etc)

Bottom line is what you want to use your camera for and how much you want to pay. You may want to get a 2nd hand camera and if you still are interested a few months later progress to something better. In the mean time read as many camera magazines as possible ( I am indebted to WHSmith for allowing me to make use of their standup library facility!)

Gu.

Guwida said:
Top end compacts may have bigger megapixels

They might have more pixels, but it's unlikely they're bigger.

This is an important distinction.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom