• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

digital SLR for newbie

dmx005

Established Member
Hi all,
I have been thinking about getting a digital SLR recently and wondered what you think would be a good starter camera..

Ive seen a Nikon D50 for not much more than £200 which seems like a bargain to me.. (dont want to spend much more than that)

Or what would the equivalent Canon be? Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

Pirate!!

Banned
Hi all,
I have been thinking about getting a digital SLR recently and wondered what you think would be a good starter camera..

Ive seen a Nikon D50 for not much more than £200 which seems like a bargain to me.. (dont want to spend much more than that)

Or what would the equivalent Canon be? Any thoughts? :thumbsup:
Ahoy!

This is one 'of those' questions . . There are 'prosumer/bridge' type cameras which look and work like a dSLR, but have a fixed lens. There are a couple that fall into the price range, though are subtly different in spec.

My initial suggestions are:

Panasonic DMC-FZ8
Fuji S9600

My research suggests that the Nikon D50 is regarded as an excellent entry 'budget' dSLR, and if you can get one for under £200, it would seem like an excellent buy. The Nikon guys I'm sure will give a more qualified answer though.

I can't think what else is out there for £200.00

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I don't think for a Nikon you can get better for £200 seems a good price based on what they are selling on Ebay. Worth having a look at the link below :

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD50/page6.shtml

Canon 350 D would be the obvious alternative but I'm not sure you would get one for £200.

I'd be tempted if you can to find another £100 or so, that way you could look at this which does seem a bargain :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0560722/Trail/searchtext>SONY+A100.htm

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I think you might be right.. It will give me a bit more choice at any rate!

That Sony is a bargain if you can get one, quite a few forum members own these and have been buying them up since Argos reduced the price. You'd be able to get a Nikon D40 for £300 new as well, another camera to consider.

Pirate!!

Banned
I think you might be right.. It will give me a bit more choice at any rate!
In which case the goalposts have moved . . now it's open house.

My 10 cents (in no order):

Look at the link for the A100 posted by dazza, as THAT is THE deal of the moment. Others to look at:

Pentax K100D Super
Canon 350d
Nikon D40
Olympus E510 or E410

The problem is, that at £300.00, it's still just on the very edge of the dSLR range. Only (IMHO) do the Alpha A100 and the Pentax K100D Super come close at current prices.

dmx005

Established Member
thanks a lot everyone.. All I need to do now is think of a plan to convince the mrs that we need to replace the old camera! :D

Steve N

Distinguished Member
In dmx005's position I would prefer the D50 over the D40 jus for the D50's ability to autofocus with all Nikon lenses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom