Digital Signage using a projector and rear projection screen

A

av_jedi

Hi all,

Please can anyone help - I am looking for a cheap DIY solution for advertising and promoting business through a shop window using a rear projection screen and projector.

The shop is located near a busy roundabout and we need high impact advertising to get the punters in the shop.

I have been looking at projectors with upto 1500 lumens and rear projection screens and film you can stick to the window. Is this suitable?

I have a tight budget of £400 - £500, does anyone know where i can purchase a cheap screen from or make my own :).

Many thanks for reading

dj-dulux

Would have to do some calculations, but my first thought is that you would need something more like 15000 lumen to have any chance of it being seen from a distance in normal sunlight. I assume you want a image 5 foot across or so. Can you supply a bit more info to help people assess your requirement a bit better? Distance to roundabout, direction window faces, any other light sources, sort of images and screen size.

Dupe...

A

av_jedi

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback dj-dulux.

Did you mean 1,500 Lumens brightness or 15,000 Lumens? :confused:

The idea was to mount a rear projector screen in the window, the shop itself is at the closest point 10ft & furthest point 40ft away from the roundabout.

The main content is a Powerpoint presentation with images of Models (shop is a hairdressers) and some text mentioning Unique selling points.

Ideally would like a screen of about 5ft , the window faces west and there will be normal shop lighting.

Thanks again

dj-dulux

At those distances I think you will struggle with a standard data or cinema projector (at sensible money), think the image will look lost and washed out, have you thought about getting an older slide projector (http://www.wedgwood-group.com/slide_projectors.htm) something like these, or off ebay? Bulbs last longer so cheaper to run, brighter, unlikely to get shop broken into for an 'old' projector, easy to transfer your powerpoint slides to 35mm slides, great choices of lens and no windows crashing. I think this may be a better option for you, and at night will look great and vibrant. I know they are not used much now except at large events, but this is not due to the technical ability of them, just down to convenience.

Something for you to think about anyway!

Dupe...

PS. I have seen some high street shop try and do this before with projector, can not remember who, but they projected a 4 foot image onto a screen on the window, always looked washed out and hard to see.

A

av_jedi

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advise. Shame to hear the image is likely to be washed out :rolleyes:, was really hoping to get a high impact advertising solution.

How clear is the old Pj likely to be - otherwise a old plasma as suggested maybe the way to go. Would a old rear projection TV be no good?

Thanks for all your help

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
ideally for impact and to combat the sun your need the brightest disply solution you can get PJ is cheap but low output old plasma likely to be low output LCD a better option for this use but out of budget, Rear pro will have same issues a projector (will be slightly better as it wont compete with shop lighting) i can think of cleverer ways to give advertising more impact for your budget.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello av jedi

You really need to be looking at a minimum of 2500 ANSI for this to work - 3500 ANSI is ideal if your not going for too large an image.

There are various Daylight Film/Screen technologies available with differing results and very different price tags.

Usually you aim the Projector at a steeper than normal angle onto the rear surface of the Daylight Film/Screen and the 'lens' or 'light pipe' technology in the Film/Screen lets viewers see a reasonably bright image on the front surface of the Film/Screen.

Your going to have to up your budget to make this effective - and forget about a PDP or LCD Display - the sun wins every time in that type of installation.

For 24/7 type operation a DLP Projector will usually outlast an LCD Projector in terms of Colour uniformity as the LCD units usually bleach out the Colour filters pretty quickly - Panasonics New 3200 ANSI PT-FW100NT (16:9) and PT-F100NT (4:3) being one of the few LCD's that address this problem as they have a 'scrolling' Colour Filter.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom