1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Sat TV and dscaler - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by machu, Aug 16, 2004.

1. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting a Pio 50MXE-1 this week. Since 90% of use will be a digital Sat TV (Cyfra+) I was going to get a Hauppage Nexus or Pinnacle Sat Ci card and hook it up to dscaler. Well, this was the plan until further investigation proved it to be a bad plan - dscaler only supports analog sources. None of the digital cards work with it. (chances are dscaler 5 will support it, but I can't wait for that) When I found out about it, I decided to get one of the new Lumagen boxes. This was until I read how terrible is it's Pal performance...(Lumagens are in beta testing, but again - I can't wait)
    Crystalio, which seems to be perfect is out of my reach . (I'm getting Pio AX5 receiver and KEF 5005 speakers as an addition to the Plasma. I had to tell the enemy aka wife that the store is giving me some cheap KEF speakers for FREE for buying the Plasma and Amp. If she noticed another $3K (Crystalio) missing from our account I would be dead!)
    So now I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I refuse to watch SAT TV without video processor - the thought of spending $10K on the audio system just to get a bad PQ is way too scary!

So PLEASE, perhaps I'm missing something...Is there a way to connect a Digital SAT card to dscaler? How do you watch Sky digital with HTCP?

ps:
    Two days ago I went to a store which had a Pio 434 HDE on display showing SAT broadcast (Fashion TV) through composite. The picture wasn't bad, it was unwatchable! This was an anti-advertisement of Plasma TV. I know it's because of the composite, nevertheless it scared me to death!

2. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PluggedInTV do mods to Sky and Sky+ boxes to get SDI output:

http://www.pluggedin.tv/cat--SDI-Serial-Digital-Interface--Reference+Quality

Or a cheaper option, although not direct digital, is using their SweetSpot card to capture RBG from the SkyBox and going into DScaler. This is the method I use and it gives a pretty good signal but then I haven't spent anywhere near as much as you on kit so YMMV. If you go down this route you also need to order their SCART to SweetSpot lead separately.

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +753
    Cyfra+ is a Polish service on Hotbird (13 degrees East).

Therefore he won't be using a $ky digibox.
    He needs an STB with CI CAM as Cyfra+ use non-proprietary encryption (Seca/Mediaguard & Cryptoworks I believe).
    Are there any such boxes around with a suitble output, I wonder ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The QualiTV Box has a Cam slot blanked off, i wonder if it is available under another name with CAM. As this has all the outputs under the sun it should help, DVi and Component being nice additions.

5. groovyclam

groovyclam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris: "Therefore he won't be using a $ky digibox."

Original Poster: "How do you watch Sky digital with HTCP?"

Me: No way in hell will he be watching Sky Digital without a Sky or Sky+ Box

6. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    groovyclam, although I'm not watching Sky Digital and therefore I will not be using SkyBox, your advice was great. I checked PluggedInTV website, and I can SDI-mod the Humax Sat receiver and pass the signal to sweetspot card. My problem is solved! Thanks!

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +753
    So we (myself and GroovyClam) were both pretty well correct - and the answer for $ky led to the appropriate one for Cyfra+.

Alls well that ends well.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.