Digital Region & Sky Box question

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by dazza1011, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dazza1011

dazza1011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    i'm thinking of going with the digital region thing at my end but was wondering if anyone knows if Sky accept the connection to a VDSL VOIP line as being connected to the phone line with regards to multiroom

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    I can't see why not as long as it has a normal UK phone number associated with it.
    (When I call friends in UK who have VoIP lines associated with a UK phone number, the experience is no different to when I call a standard landline).

3. pgudge

pgudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately this doesn't work :( I bought a Linksys PAP2T adapter and setup my SipGate VoIP account in it, but its has never worked. The Sky box can dial and gets a connection but it is eventually dropped.

From what I have read, it appears the Sky dial services only supports 56Kb speed modems with the VoIP services don't support.

Has anyone else tried this with a different VoIP provider?

4. bwalky

bwalky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi did you try the prefix option to enable model mode? I found this article and was thinking of purchasing a PAP2t:

Using Voipfone with a Sky Digibox (PAP2T)
    Well i have searched high and low on how to get a sky digibox to do a successful callback when using a voip line but could not find any success online using google but i did manage to find some hope if using a pap2/pap2t. (I'm going to be very ****** if someone posts back shortly saying old news!!!!)

A Sky box modem appears to connect at 56k which is a real problem for voip users as i believe the maximum connection which can be used over a Voip Voice line is 28k, as such a Sky call back fails when using Voip. (Going from info i have read on google.)

The pap2/pap2t has a Modem Line Toggle mode feature which toggles the line into one suitable for use with a modem, this gave me some hope however the default code to enable this feature is *99, so by dialing *99 creates a line for use with modems....

How it works is simple, lift handset, dial *99 wait for the dial tone then dial the desired phone number. You have a connection suitable for modems or you should in theory.

So simple i think, add the dialing prefix of *99 into the sky box and it should dial *99 therefore toggling the line into modem mode then the box dials the callback number and call back should be successful, sadly the sky box does not allow a * in the dialing prefix column only numbers. Arghhhh

So this is what i have done, and so far every call back has been successful...

Log in to your pap2/pap2t as an admin, click on the (switch to advanced view) option.

Under the Regional Tab scroll down to the Vertical Service Activation Codes list and locate: Modem Line Toggle Code: *99

Replace the *99 with 1470 and click on Save Settings located at the bottom of the page, i now recommend you power cycle your device.

(I changed the default setting for Modem Line Toggle Mode from *99 in my pap2t to 1470 as this is the BT short code to force display of the lines caller id so should a sky engineer ever visit it don't look odd.)

Now your setup is complete on the adapter you just need to add the dialing prefix of 1470 on the sky box, on a new install this will be done by the Sky engineer.

You need to access the installers menu on your digibox, on older sky boxes press SERVICES, 4, 0, 1, SELECT. On the newer Sky boxes like the Sky+ HD box press SERVICES, 0, 0, 1, SELECT.

Once in the installers menu scroll to the Telephone Settings option and in the second row under Dialing Prefix enter 1470 and press the Green button to save.

Exit the Menu and that's it, your box will now successfully complete a callback. Handy if you have multiroom!