1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Recording

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Garrett, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    Can anyone tell me: if I record something on to a minidisk via a digital interconnect, can I record it on to the computer digitally with an optical lead, or is it barred as it would be to an other digital recorder (only analogue recording option only).

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    Has nobody ever tried it.:confused:

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,940
    Never tried it myself but Sony are currently running adverts with the new mini disc that does exactly that. No doubt there is some kind of blocking to stop you doing it without some other cables etc. Just their way of grabbing more money from ya.

4. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m pretty sure the digital output on minidisc players only works on un copied, or copied from analogue sources.....

i only use my md recorder to copy my vinyl to md for the car - consider using the analogue inputs all the time to be able to use digital outputs.....

if you need to know before buying etc, reply and i`ll sit down and record cd - md, then try and play back to the digital ins on my amp......

hth

rob

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,375
    Thanks for the replies, I know you cannot do a digital recording off a mini-disc to an other once it has already been digitally recorded, but I was wondering if this blocking device was, on either on the sound card of a PC, or on the PC CD recorder or not at all.

6. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i get what you mean..... its the minidisc that blocks it from going out, i think the pc inputs accept anything.....

the protection has an anacronym of some sort smcs or something (serial management copyright system?) cant remember of top of my head.............

it was a big prob when minidisc came out as the studio chaps couldnt do a digital mix down to minidisc, then copy on to cd etc......

cheers

rob