Digital receivers - how can you record and watch different channels?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ajf, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ajf

ajf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had Telewest cable for years now but up until now have also used a normal aerial if I want to record terrestrial whilst watching cable.

However I got wondering, when analogue becomes obsolete how will it be possible to record one channel whilst watching another?
    In fact is it/will it be possible to record and watch two different cable channels too?

I have wondered for a while too why modern TVs have upto 100 available channels but even with cable/satellite(?) you can only tune to the one channel and then use the cable/satellite box to change the channel.

Andrew

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    To watch and record different digital channels you need 2 different tuners. This can be a single box with the 2 tuners in it, ie Sky+, or just 2 STB's. There is no other way of doing it.
    This is the same as with analogue though as you would use a tuner in the TV and a VCR with its own tuner, so in real terms nothing has changed. We just need to be getting DVD recorders, PVR's or at a stretch VCR's with digital tuners built in.

Mark.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    To keep costs down. If TV's incorporated tuners that could be used with the myriad of cable, satellite and terrestrial digital services that can be received in Europe, it would add quite a lot to the cost of the set.