Digital radio

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by wizbongre, Nov 23, 2003.

1. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Stupid question time - are the digital radio stations picked up on my freeview box the same as those that I would get with a DAB box? If so, why are DAB tuners so expensive?!

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No they're not. You only get about 10% of the stations off DAB on Freeview. But you do get them all at 193kb which is much higher than you would on DAB.

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DAB radios are expensive for a very simple reason - supply and demand. Freeview has been marketed to the public and people have rushed out to buy it, manufacturers took notice and started to make boxes increasing the supply in the market, thus reducing the price. DAB however has still to marketed by the BBC and only a handful of high end manufactures have taken notice (Pace, Denon,Tag etc), and a few unknown brands.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    First time i've seen Pace referred to as 'high end', or even contained in the same sentance as Tag :D

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    stand alone DAB units home, prtable and in car are SUB £200 some around £100 and seperate units from Cambridge audio and acoustic solutions (RS brand), as well as PURE units under £250 so they are coming down. Sony IIRC do a DAB unit as well as marantz