1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Radio on Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ash007, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of my local FM radio stations also apparently output DAB (Digital Radio) e.g BBC GMR (Greater Manchester Radio).

Does this mean I should be able to get them on my Sky+ digibox? or is DAB different to the digital radio stations on Sky.

put another way
    do u need a DAB radio if i've got Sky+?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is no technical reason a local FM station can not broadcast on DAB and/or Dsat, however there are cost factors and some sporting rights which are better suited to the more localised DAB platform as opposed to the nationwide dsat delivery system.
    DAB is a digital terrestrial platform for distributing radio, it has no direct connection with digital satellite distribution.
    It's exactly the same as distributing television on DTT and Dsat, some channels will be on both platforms and some will be on one or the other, it's all upto the broadcasters and how they choose to distribute their product.

DAB on the whole is inferior (audio wise) to digital radio on both Dsat and DTT however you will probably find more local stations on DAB so the question you have to ask is which platform provides the widest range of channels you like and of course you can listen to DAB while another member of the household watches SKY.