digital radio and fm

mauvedipstick15

Anyone tell me if 2 seperate aerials will be required ie: 1FM---1 DIGITAL(DAB)

mb23

Novice Member
Yes, I'm afraid so. FM broadcasts are in VHF Band II (88-108 MHz) whereas DAB broadcasts are in VHF Band III (174-230 MHz). You may be able to receive DAB broadcasts on an FM aerial but it's not advisable for optimum results.

Incidentally if you have one of the old VHF 405-line TV aerials (you still see them about) or if you buy a VHF TV aerial in the Republic of Ireland these should be ideal for DAB as they are designed for use in Band III.

Chris Muriel

mb23 said:
Incidentally if you have one of the old VHF 405-line TV aerials (you still see them about) or if you buy a VHF TV aerial in the Republic of Ireland these should be ideal for DAB as they are designed for use in Band III.
I use an old band III TV VHF aerial.
Note that the previous poster is referring to the old ITV channels (6-13) , not the old BBC channels which were in band I (around 45-55 MHz).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

mauvedipstick15

One thing i forgot guys is dab directional or can the aerial just be (PUT UP)

Chris Muriel

Depends on what type of aerial you have. Not all have horizontal (azimuth) directivity.
Even with a non directional aerial you should experiment with its position for best reception of the multiplexes that you wish to pick up.

Chris Muriel, Manchester