Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED 1080p Projector Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 2nd May 2011.
The M-Vision Cine LED from Digital Projection is a sublime projector that offers all the benefits of a single chip DLP and thanks to its LED light source removes one of the major disadvantages - anyone looking for a near reference performance coupled with cutting edge technology would be well advised to give this projector a demo.

Read the full review...

Jon P

Great review as ever. I heard several people singing the praises of some of the Digital Projection units especially when it comes to 3D due to the brightness some of their projectors can achieve although certainly priced to match, any chance we may see a review of one of their 3D models?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Yes Steve there is also the M-Vision Cine 260 which is essentially the same but uses a bulb so it's a lot brighter (3,000 lumens) but of course it also uses a colour wheel - it retails for around £12,000 depending on the lens option.

Jon I'd love to review on of DP's 3D projectors, we'll see what we can do.

Last edited:

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
Hi Guys,

The entry level in the MVision range is the Cine 230 which produces about 1000 lumens but with the contrast noticeably boosted for best results on smaller screens (90" wide or less typically) or fully dark cinemas. Price is around 60% of the LED.

After that you have the 260 available in high brightness and high contrast models to suit either cinema or multimedia room applications.

Next you have the 400 series which offers over 5000 lumens for large screens or bright environments and is still less than the LED.

After that you move in the other direction in to big bucks! The top of the range Titan Reference 3D is knocking on the door of six figures.... These are the type of things that go in the finest home cinemas around the world with many famous owners!

It may not be immediately obvious from the review but Digital Projection is a British company and were the first company to produce an image from a DLP chip!

There is a 6.5m screen in the demo room at the factory in Manchester where we often take pleasure in doing shoot outs with the whole range from entry level to top of the line. It is incredible to see the differences in projectors when they are stacked up this way even after calibration. Hopefully some of you mint get a chance to see this for yourselves.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Thanks Neil. It's really great to hear about a British firm driving this sort of technology.

Six figures? How rich would you have to be to warrant paying that...and how mad about cinema. Let's face it, even if you won a million on the lottery then spending a tenth of that just on the projector would probably be a bit much.

So now I don't need to just dream of a lottery win - I need to be the sole winner of a triple roll over.

:D

Steve W

Jon P

Thanks Neil. It's really great to hear about a British firm driving this sort of technology.

Six figures? How rich would you have to be to warrant paying that...and how mad about cinema. Let's face it, even if you won a million on the lottery then spending a tenth of that just on the projector would probably be a bit much.

So now I don't need to just dream of a lottery win - I need to be the sole winner of a triple roll over.

:D

Steve W

Don't forget that it'll need to be a euro millions draw too.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I'm getting the new Sim2 Lumis 3DS soon so it will be interesting to see what kind of performance 30 grand can get you.

Good to meet you on the THX course John.

Jon P

I'll Look forward to reading this review shortly then. If you need a hand/second opinion I'm sure I could manage to find a space for a projector in my setup somewhere. ;)

Steve Withers

Reviewer
The review of the Sim2 Lumis 3D-S should be up this weekend but in a word amazing!

Jon P

Hope you went into a bit more detail in the review ;) well when I win euromillions
Tomorrow I'll be sure to put it on my
Audition list.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Neil, Steve, I was wondering if you could shed any light on this (pardon the pun).

We currently have home cinema LED projectors costing £10k upwards. We also have smaller data LED projectors costing £200-£500. But why is there nothing in between?

I can understand that the cheap ones won't be useable for home cinema. I can understand if there's a technology that isn't cheap and needs to cost tens of thousands. I just can't understand the gap in the middle.

Any idea?

Steve W

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I'm sure it's amazing too Neil.

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
Neil, Steve, I was wondering if you could shed any light on this (pardon the pun).

We currently have home cinema LED projectors costing £10k upwards. We also have smaller data LED projectors costing £200-£500. But why is there nothing in between?

I can understand that the cheap ones won't be useable for home cinema. I can understand if there's a technology that isn't cheap and needs to cost tens of thousands. I just can't understand the gap in the middle.

Any idea?

Steve W

It is a good question and one that I have been asked a few times lately. I can give my views but they are no more than that!

Like all projection the determinants of cost are:

1. Brightness (associated with colour accuracy for home cinema)
2. Pixel resolution
3. Optical resolution
4. Volume

The little pico projectors are funny things but can sell in massive volumes. They can be a consumer product but are also great for commercial situations. As I spend a lot of time travelling to demonstrate things I see the allure of a little PJ that fits in your bag as easily as your laptop PSU. You dont need 000s of lumens or colour accuracy to make that power point a winner and clinch a deal.

It is pretty obvious that the low res, low brightness, high volume (lets not even consider optics) combine to make a compelling product price.

You then jump pretty much from there to 1080P cinema projectors since that is where the relatively low light output is least difficult to work with. These products have dramatically lower volume with resolution and optics many orders of magnitude more expensive.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Cheers, Neil.

My big worry is that we've seen 3 chip DLPs at £10k+ for quite a few years now, and whilst the price of other PJs have fallen - nay plummeted in the past few years, the bottom-end 3-chipper is still £10k+ (as far as I'm aware).

By fear is that we'll see the same with LEDs. What you seem, to be saying is, if you don't mins low brightness and poor colour accuracy, you can have it cgeap, but if you want LEDs whixch are (relatively bright, and with accurate colour, you need to pay big bucks. Are there any signs that will change? Many people said with the 3-chippers "Of course, prices will fall in a few years", but they haven't.

:(

Steve W

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I do Neil so perhaps you or Graham can give me a call?

Jon P

An other thought is that perhaps a more expensive projector is likely to be installed as part of a well designed home cinema. In which reflective surfaces and light control has been addressed properly. These new LED projectors are still not yet chucking out huge amounts of light so the manufacturers may also find that this helps to make sure this relatively new take on projectors is seen in the best environment. if that make's sense

If they were between 2k-7k maybe you'd be more likely to have your average joe buying them and putting them in their white ceilinged lounge and complaining about not being able to see the picture very well!

So by producing what is a CI product with the features CI's need at a CI price the reputation of these projectors is maintained better as the tech is improved.

p.s. I'm not saying all expensive home cinemas are well designed or all DIY's are bad

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
In three chip DLP an unbelievable proportion of the cost is made up by the optics. Since the optics are so expensive there has been little point in using anything other than the highest grade DLP chips (also expensive).

The easiest way to reduce the cost of the optics is to reduce the size of chip. Three chip DLP has been using 0.95" DMDs for years but recently 0.65" DMDs became available. Lo and behold you get the DPI HighLight which is getting on for half the price of the equivalent 0.95" model (give or take features).

The 0.95" model is still better but you really need to see them side by side to understand the differences. At big shows DPI have all of models tiled into a single ultra wide scrolling image so that you can follow the same image as it moves up the range and gets better and better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett