1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Projection I Vision HDX - DLP projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarcoBiscotti, Apr 6, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've literally searched EVERYWHERE for a review of this projector, all to no avail!

I was considering this DPI as well as the Sharp XVZ-12000 but opted for this Digital projection since it's a much smaller and much quieter unit, and I have a fairly small HT room with the projector directly overhead of the seating which is why low fan noise is very important to me.

Anyways, I was just hoping somebody would be able to offer their feedback or opinions in regards to this projector...

Has anyone had the chance to audition this unit, or does anyone own one and could post their feelings?

It's got 1280 x 720 native res w/ 4000:1 contrast ratio, HDMI, DVI, 16 x 9 HD3 chip, component x 2, etc.

I'm paying $12,850 CAN.

I just want some assurance that my money went to the highest class and value...

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    It does look extremely like a clone of the Projection Design Action1 MK3.......In which case it's good work....at least the MK2 is good.....not seen a MK3 yet but can't imagine they made it worse.

Gordon

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, have you actually seen the projector in action.. or just seen it? :}

I'm pretty confident in my purchase... I'm sure it will be a great projector with my setup, I'm just really excited and would like to find some reviews or hear feedback from others who have experienced the unit..

Thanks!

4. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    As Gordon says the projector shares a lot of similarities to the to the PD action MK3, same casing and the specification, as far as I can see it looks virtually the same.

One thing that is that I found no mention of its use of Aspherical lenses which are used on the Projectiondesign models. Also both companies may have made some internal modifications just like Mitsubishi with the HC2000 and Optoma with the H77/H78.

Toshiba also use the same casing on at least one of their projectors, so it now has me wondering about who is responsible for manufacturing these projectors.

Anyhow I have yet to find a review of the HDX however there are a few reviews of the Digital Projection iVision HD Projector and all speak highly of the projector.

If you are happy with your projector then sit back and enjoy your purchase. Would it really matter that much if some reviewer held an alternative opinion to you?

Foghorn

Ps I have seen the Action model Mk 2 and there is no doubt that it produces a very nice picture. I have had an issue with what is referred to as the rainbow effect however it may be that I have a problem with certain combinations of wheel speed and the number of segments used, a further test later this week against the H77 may answer that question.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The Projection Design guys used to work for InFocus. Although the back panel layout looks like an InFocus unit I've never seen a PJ from that manufacturer that uses the same case.

I've only seen pictures of the DP unit but I've seen the Action One MK2 several times..playing back pictures...

Gordon

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    MarcoBiscotti

If this is a clone of the Projection Design models then keep in mind its a relatively long throw lens - you said you were going for an 'overhead' install.

There's no lens shift - again watch your 'head height'.

And the remote is a pile of poo - ask your supplier to ensure the 'Laser pointer' is disabled if you have kids in the house.

If you know what your doing then you'll achieve excellent results - if your new to projectors I'd try and find someone local to assist with the install and undertake a proper ISF calibration.

Best regards

Joe

7. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The iVision HDX is a clone of the PD Action Model One Mk III so its picture quality will extremely good.

The remote takes some getting used to (use the arrow keys rather than the roller ball for projector menu navigation) but the mouse emulation can be useful if you are using a home theatre PC. I used a blob of silicon to cover the laser pointer on my own machine but a couple of our customers who use the projector in video editing suites like having the feature.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!

Joe, I have a great dealer who is setting up and incorporating my entire HT w/ me specifically for my needs based on the room and equipment so he will be doing all the calbration and hook ups. I'm confident in that area. I'm also not too worried about head height either because I'm in a condo loft w/ 12ft high ceilings... and no kids, no worry regarding laser pointer.

I can't wait till it arrives!!

:thumbsup:

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Ken - come on be honest the remote is a pile of poo that would disgrace a sub £1k Presentation projector never mind a £6K Home Theatre projector; the roller ball is pants and it rattles.

Peter Putman got it right in a recent review of the Model One MkII - 'As for that annoying trackball on the remote control, it's gotta go, and the sooner, the better'.

As before you can specify the Laser pointer to be factory disabled if you have kids around.

MarcoBiscotti - the only hassle with having a high ceiling being that with no lens shift on the projector you may have to have it 'floating' a fair old way below your ceiling.

It sounds like your going about things the best way though.

Best regards

Joe

10. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The remote is a little tricky and I agree that it could benefit from an alternative design, however after a few days you tend to get used to it.

MarcoBiscotti what I liked about the Projectiondesign is that it does not take a lot of work with the settings to achieve a very satisfactory image and I would call myself an amateur in the calibration game.

In fact once I settled on the picture I liked I never felt the need to start tweaking the image for different movies.

Foghorn