Digital pricing...

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by Crumpets, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Crumpets

Crumpets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Why are the digital games so much more expensive than the physical copy? For example titanfall digital copy £55 but physical copy £37ish from various retailers. I did read somewhere that it is because of big supermarkets etc but is that really true?

If they were a bit cheaper ie around the £30 mark then they would be more of an impulse but at £55 a pop then each purchase becomes a chin rubber. I would have bought AC4 and Tomb raider at £30 each but wont pay 50 odd pounds.

I was planning on going all digital downloads with the xbox one but having second thoughts although this could be a pain in the a** because my xbox is behind the sofa and would be an absolute faff to put disks in and out!

2. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Same reason they haven't introduced pre-launch downloads, they're afraid of upsetting their retail partners.

3. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    If your gonna go digital doing it on day one is the only way to go really, at least that that point the price isn't too bad especially if you can get cheap gift cards, at more than a month or so out it just becomes a bad idea.

They are experimenting apparently but i wouldn't hold your breathe TBH

Microsoft Experimenting With Cheaper Downloads For Xbox One Games - Forbes

4. pbb76

pbb76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Cant we sticky this!? Gets asked far too often.

Basically, digital will not undercut retail and p*ss them off - its as simple as that.

Nothing to do with physical storage or distribution costs etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. RMGEE

RMGEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
  6. barneystuta

barneystuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Definitely make this a sticky as it does come up a lot. With Titanfall, I am sure AVF Xbox One forums will see an influx of users...

My 2p worth...

The Steam comparison

PC gaming had stagnated and retail space was taking a significant hit. It was about the latest shiny new console, which you knew your game would work on, not having to check/compare your machine against specs. Will your 4 year old GPU and processor handle this latest game with no issues? Err.... do not know.

I worked in a Supermarket in the Entertainment section. With the launch of the 360 and HD gaming, the PC section slowly waned away. With limited space and 3 new consoles out (Wii, PS3, 360), plus all the legacy stuff (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube), and handhelds (PSP, DS, Gameboy colour), the PC section is what took the hit.

So the likes of Steam came to the front. They had been around a fair few years beforehand and in controversial circumstances to start with. Half Life 2 needed Steam, even retail copies, and suddenly it was a key part of one of the biggest PC games of t hat time. It was not until 2005 though that 3rd party games were released on Steam, the same year the 360 launched. Coincidence? Good luck? Or well timed and executed?

It created the perfect storm. Retail space was taking a hit (not because of Steam initially) and Steam jumped on this. Combined with 3rd party support, it now had a machine it could build upon further. Steam Sales came next and suddenly, PC games were being sold at huge discounts. Then the likes of Football Manager needed to have Steam installed. This opened up a new market to the world of Steam and now it dominates the sales of PC games. Retail space has took even more of a hit, with some smaller supermarkets only having a tiny space for PC games. And these are usually the 3 for £10 ones that you get, not the big blockbusters.

Steam, while the biggest and arguably the best, do not have a closed platform. Origin (EA) is a competitor who keep all their games on their platform. EA are one of the biggest and most diverse publishers in the gaming world and would never give up their prize assets to Steam (unless really pushed).

Also, you can buy games in Retail Stores and or e-tailers that you use on Steam. Amazon, GreenmanGaming and too many to list provide digital codes. This means the market is not closed, creates competition and gets the market moving.

So what does this mean for consoles and the Xbox?

Well - consoles are integral to retail. They could not survive a purely digital world the consoles would not cover the costs alone. Digital distribution, while it can be good for the every day consumer, it would not be good for everyone. It would mean job losses and an industry effectively gone. It would have huge impact in the UK and the US on what is now a huge industry (some say the biggest of them all).

Also, with game sizes forever increasing, when will Broadband/Download speeds catch up? Even "unlimited" broadband generally has a fair usage policy (although there are exclusions). Imagine downloading 200gb+ a month (just 4 games) every month? Mr Broadband man would not be happy and charges would increase.

We need the best of both worlds which leads me to...

So what can retail/digital distribution do?

For me - if I was in charge of the likes of Game I would be doing the following:

- Encouraging digital codes sold in retail. Not just gift cards. This is inevitably going to happen and the sooner they act the better. This will take away their "trade in" revenues, however, that will happen one day. If not in this generation, it will be in the next.

- Encourage (similar to PC) a blend of Digital/Disc - This is kind of a form of DRM, however gives the customer the best of both. It is a disc based game with a one time use code. This avoids the big download hit and gives the customer the digital licence to the game. The disc would then be useless. This is what MS tried to push initially, however why not give the option? It would have to be priced comparatively and competitively, because you would lose the ability to trade in.

- Exclusive Digital Games & Pre-order content - I am not a big fan of this, however you have to look at the publishers side of things. The 2nd hand market hurts their profits, so pre-order bonus content gives them something extra. Usually cosmetic and at no extra cost, it is a one time download. If digital is to become a feasible option, they need to include similar bonus content. Forza did this direct from the MS store, why can the Retailers/e-tailers get on board too?

Summary

Steam is the scenario often referred to in the PC world. While there are many similarities, it took years to build their market. It was the consoles bullying retail space which hit PC's and it was Steam that seized upon that.

Here the situation is different with consoles. Retailers NEED consoles and disc based games. Without them, they wouldn't exist. And while I grumble at some of the prices charged, what would a world without a high street retailer for Games be? And how would that impact the industry? Seriously, imagine it for a second.

However, MS, Sony, Game Publishers, Retailers and e-tailers all need to listen to the community. People want to pay less for digital games and while they pay more, digital will never take off with everyone. There has to be a balance here, and retailers have the opportunity to do something. Learn the lessons of Zavvi, HMV, and many more. What has iTunes done to them?

Just imagine not being able to pop down the road to buy a controller if your mates come around? You'd have to wait for P&P and 3-5 days...

If they do not, in 10 years time (if not sooner), it really could become a monopoly and digital distribution only and it would be a very sad day having to order your console directly from the hardware creator.

7. DJ KRIME

DJ KRIME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Has Titanfall been confirmed @£55 for the DD?

8. Crumpets

Crumpets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just checked amazon and the pc version is available as a code for download at £34.99. I assume it will be the same price for the xbox one version......

9. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,330
    Very doubtful, its EA and on a Console.

With PC you can't buy physical, its all DD

10. DJ KRIME

DJ KRIME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    See what I'm not sure with Titanfall is current EA titles are £55 for DD but will they set the price the same as Microsoft 1st party titles as it's a xbox exclusive?

11. Trist

Trist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    The first party games (RYSE, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3) were £45 but then went up to £50. So very best case £45... could well be £55 though...

12. STANNY08

STANNY08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    They can and do for addons, no idea why this can't be extended to full games.

13. TayWax

TayWax
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,101
    I followed a link to pre-order through the Microsoft site that has Titanfall for £50 so I'm assuming that was the download price

14. movaado

movaado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I get why they don't want to undercut their retail partners - but why not let the retail partners sell the codes (either electronically or in a pack) for the same price. As you can't sell digital games on, they gain that way too.

I much prefer having the instant game switching and not having a pile of games around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. DJ KRIME

DJ KRIME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Or simply buy your xbox credit via places like CD Keys. I got £50 for just under £40 with their Facebook discount code so if Titanfall DD is £50 then it's actually cost me £40.

16. movaado

movaado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Thats fine for new games (although some of the EA games are £55 on the store but £40 on Amazon/Zavvi etc), so you do take a slight hit for those. Its what I've been doing as it goes.

Its the price in a few months time - it will probably be still high on the store but 1/2 price or less for physical.

17. Crumpets

Crumpets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Looks like it is £54.99 for Titanfall although I am still going to pay that tbh despite it being £37 at tescos. I am sure I will get plenty of enjoyment out of it and when you consider a meal out and a few drinks can quite easily top that it does not seem so bad....

18. barneystuta

barneystuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  19. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,330
    £22 for Tomb Raider is hard to resist, even though I have it on 360 and not played it on that yet.
    Also Bioshock Infinate for £6 yes please !

All 3 Bioshocks for around £13 is an absolute bargain !

20. barneystuta

barneystuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    This is a great move and exactly what MS should be doing to drive Digital sales. It is what people want and they are getting it.

21. Guns_LotsOfGuns

Guns_LotsOfGuns
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    God dammit MS what are you doing to my wallet, is was totally not buying either thief of Tomb raider but now i just don't know...

Thief and Tomb raider still coming up as full price on the website?

EDIT: Oh right starts Friday

22. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,330
    Is Thief worth it for £25 then?
    Not played a Thief game since the old PC days

23. Crumpets

Crumpets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but Just seen Watch Dogs at £59.99! Jeez games are getting more expensive to download rather than cheaper. Would have picked this one up if it was cheaper :(

Hoping EA UFC will not cost as much as I will have to pay it as I will not be able to resist...and therein lies the problem I guess, if we pay it they will continue with that price.