Digital Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Nic Rhodes, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Simple question guys and girls.

I have a large tv (36 inch widescreen) and a new high end projector, probably at the end of this week.

I have noticed that my average terestrial signal is only okay on large screens.

How much better is Sky or Ondigital (or whatever they are called now)? Is it better?

A connections would be the best available (RGB?). I am a quality sort of guy. Would I see a benefit?

I am after the best picture and sound quality posible.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Digital is infinatley better than analog (but not as good as DVD), whichever STB you go for.

Yes, use an RGB it's the best quality pic you will get, and don't let anybody tell you that <br />S-video is better. The fact is it isn't, it's just a brighter picture that fools most people.

Good luck

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Oh and as for sound..well it's still 2-channel stereo/Dolby surround. Although Sky Digital Plus have plans to broadcast a few movie channels in Dolby Digital 5.1 in the near future.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At times the digital picture can be far worse than the analogue one due to compression.

The analogue picture quality (in my case) will often depend on the weather. However, when i do get a good picture, it wipes the floor with the over compressed pictures on some digital channels.

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have sky+ and itv-digital.Itv digital can vary from good to poor for fast moving action,because of the compression they currently use.Sky+ isn't as bad on the fast moving stuff,but they use varying compression on their broadcasts so some channels are better than others.<br />Since I had a large aerial installed I don't find analogue that bad.<br />I guess what I'm trying to say is that with a large tv (mine is 44") digital isn't all it could be.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I find terrestial digital is pretty good on free to air, but pay channels are pretty ropey.

Quality is better via IDTV as well.

BBC, ITV, & C4 are good on all but fast motion

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks for the input guys, a mixed bag of responses, some pro analogue, some digital.

re RGB / SVideo the differences are down to how the kit is designed not the inherent limitations of the RGB or SVideo interface. I can demonstrate component and Svideo signals that are miles better than any RGB I have seen because they are done correctly.

Just look at some older Toshiba DVDs and many have found out that SVideo was better than the RGB.

How it is designed matters.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Nic,

I think the poster was suggesting that RGB from Sky Boxes is better than RGB to S-video or composite to s-video...well I hope that's what he meant.

I have found that Terrestrial TV, when fed from a good aerial/receiver can give very good results. Sky picture is channel dependant. Some are good while others are not so good.....

I am in direct line of site of the transmitter for Glasgow area. My terrestrial TV picture is fantastic and is not beaten by Sky Digital. I have done many installations where the exact opposite is the case.

Gordon

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277

10. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    With sky digital it is possible for channels to be broadcast as widescreen anamorphic. Sadly sky themselves don't much care for this.

The BBC & C4 do broadcast their digital channels like this and I always find the picture quality excellent.

I noticed that sky make a deal out of their box office service being widescreen, It would be possible for them to brodcast all movie channels as widescreen and depending on how you setup the digibox you get a 4-3 (for the black bar haters out there) or 16-9 picture.

I expect that they are using the issue of quality of picture and sound to try and lever yet more money from us.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The anamorphic widescreen aspect of digital TV gives it a slight edge against PAL when you have got a 16x9 TV.

Also with higher bit rates on FTA terrestial TV if you can overcome impulse interfearance DTTV can give you the best BBC and ITV available.

I found the Sutton power doubling helped as did an RF filter extension for the TV.

The Sony DTTV tuner appears to be well sorted.