Digital photo frame resolution.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Ol!ver, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Wasn't too sure where to put this so I've gone for in here, if it's in the wrong place I apologise!

My Mum's bought us a digital photo frame as an engagement pressie, nothing flash, just a supermarket special. The box says it's a 720x480 screen, so I've been trying to make my photos match so they fill the screen. I've tried cropping but it's having none of it. I always end up with an image that needs zooming by the frame, and it's obviously cutting off the edges. Now it doen't look too bad, but it's annoying me now! Anyone care to tell me where I'm going wrong?

Cheers :)

2. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Just drop the shots onto the frame as they are and it should sort them out for you :)

3. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It does, but like I say it's taking bits off the sides etc. Was just wondering if it was possible to make it use the whole image instead of making it resize on the fly.

4. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  5. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Odd, don't think mine affects the actual size but shrinks the size of the image.

6. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    The aspect ratio is probably different on your screen to what your camera's photos are.

720x480 is 3x2 format which is what a DSLR produces, but most compact digicams take a 4x3 image so you'll get a little cropping.

7. iandrews

iandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    I have the Philips 7" photo frame and use wdpv from http://www.willus.com/archive/ with the parameters -sort shuffle -crop -p -geom 720x480

This re-sizes the photo down to 720x480, but also crops the photo if required (will cut off a bit of the top and bottom). From what I remember if you leave the -crop bit off you get all of the original photo, but a black bar at either side to get it to the 3x2 ratio.

The other great thing about this is that it does a batch of photos (up to about 25 I think). I have a shortcut with the above parameters, and just select the photos I want and drag and drop them onto the short cut.

Ian.