1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Output from Sky Digibox

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Exeter Man, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just pondering whether the DAC in my Marantz SR6300 would be superior to the one in my Panasonic Digibox.

Has anyone modified their Digibox to provide a digital output. Presumably, it would just be a case of diverting the digital audio signal away from the internal DAC to a RCA/BNC socket fitted to the back panel ?

BTW, don't want to upgrade to Sky+ at the moment.

Regards

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SOny built a Sky box with optical out that would do stereo IIRC not heard of anyone moddifying one for this though.

3. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon,

Yes, I read about the Sony unit when I was searching for previous posts. One guy reported good results when connected to his Denon receiver via the digital connection.

When I get time, I will open-up my unit, and if I can figure out what's what, i will lash-up a temporary connection to see how it performs.

Regards

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It is very unlikely you will be able to get this to work without adding a SPDIF encoder. Internally the signal to the DAC will be a three wire interface with word clock, bit clock and data. Left and right are time domain multiplexed. SPDIF is a one wire interface where the data and clock are encoded together using a manchester coding method. It also has extra data for time code and information flags encoded in with it.

A single chip can do this however it is unlikely that the chip has been put into a SAT box that doesn't have an SPDIF output. The only possibility is if the SAT decoder chip already has it intergrated into it. the only way to find this out would be to open your box up and then down load the data sheets for all the chips that look likely and see if there is a SPDIF (sometimes called IEC958) output.

Regards,
    Andrew

5. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew,

Thanks for the very thorough reply. Sounds like it might be beyond my current level of knowledge :blush:

I am trying to get into electronics at the moment (just about to start making a headphone amplifier), so might give it a bash when my confidence has increased a bit.

Thanks again.

Regards

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those SKY Digiboxes which do have the chip are inhibited by Sky's software. The Digital output needs to be enabled - and it's not. So you are snookered.

7. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not looking too good is it :thumbsdow

Think i'll put this one to the back of my mind for a while. Would have been worthwhile trying if it was more straightforward.

Regards

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  9. Exeter Man

Exeter Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon,

Wow. Heavy man [in style of Neil from Young Ones] :confused:

Are you trying to convince me to wreck my Digibox ;) This would be a classic case of 'a little bit of knowledge (or in my case less than a little) is dangerous !'

Regards