1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital out on SB Audigy 2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stellavision, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've just purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card and am having difficulty getting a digital output.
    I thought I could connect a coaxial cable to the card via a rca to jack convertor but that did'nt work.
    Is the output a optical minijack like on minidisc digital inputs?
    Or is there some other way i need to hook my soundcard upto my av receiver?

2. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got the same card and all i have done is connect a coax cable to a 3.5mm to phono - mono bought it from cpc for bout 40p. Then ya got to set digital out in drivers and software and turn off ac3 decoding

3. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stellavision,

Just checked the manual for the audigy 2 online at

http://files.europe.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/797/English.pdf

It looks like it works the same way as other recent creative boards. One of the 3.5mm jacks on the back will double up as the digital audio out. The diagram shows this as being the connector at the top of the card, with a firewire being at the bottom of the card.

From memory, I think you need a simple 3.5mm stero jack plug to 2 x phono (rca). Then I think you hook up one of the rca connectors to the coaxial input on your amp (think it's the left channel?).

If you need this to be converted to optical, you can get a little convertor from maplin for £15 that converts coaxial into optical. Then just grab yourself an optical cable and you're done.

The online store at creative europe has this available too http://uk.europe.creative.com/estore/product.asp?prod=179

might be of use.

4. SunnyUK

SunnyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    An ordinary jack-to-steroe-phono converter will do the trick. Just make sure it's the WHITE phono plug you plug into the coax SPDIF on your amp.

I bought one today and got it connected in no time.

Just be aware that you only get the full 5.1 though the SPDIF cable for DVD movies - sound from the PC itself (games etc) only send the two front channels through the SPDIF connector.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I've just checked my rca to jack adapter and it's only a mono connector, which is'nt actually producing any sound at all.
    I've looked at the online manual and it say's the digital out can be connected to minidisc so I may try a long optical cable tomorrow.
    Surely this should allow 5.1 sound in Dolby Digital enabled games?

6. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think somewhere in the soundcard config you can set the board to use only the digital out.

If you activate this, I would assume that any game producing a suitable 5.1 data stream will pass this down the digital out and your amp will decode it as dolby digital 5.1. Give it a go and see what happens....

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    There is a "digital ouput only" option on the speaker settings page.

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Just tried stereo mini-jack to 2 phono with one phono in a digital input on my amp, the result was stereo output only!
    Tried an optical cable I use for minidisc recording, this produced absolutely zilch!!!:(
    Looks like I may have to invest in this to enjoy Dolby Digital games!!!:mad:

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    I just use the cable that came with my Creative Inspire 5700 speakers/amp and haven't had a problem.

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    JohnG, what sort of cable is it?
    Just wondering if it's something I can get from Creative.

11. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it sounds like you're getting there.

Like others have said, you will only get a a stereo signal from most games - I can't think of any that output dolby digital.

Have you tried playing a DVD yet? You'll need to set PowerDVD (or whatever player you may have) to use the SPDIF output, but this option set, in conjunction with everything else should give you a dolby digital feed to the amp.

13. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of buying the soundcard in the first place, i would have thought the only reason to buy a creative card would be for games.

14. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I meant was - I don't know of any pc titles that output dolby digital, and most games still only output stero (PCM) stream, hence why you only hear stereo through the amp. Unless you switch some the DSP modes that some amps like my Sony has, which can improve things a bit.

However, I do tend to agree with you. If I bought a game supporting Dolby Digital and a soundcard supporting DD then I would expect to hear everything in Dolby Digital when hooked up to my AV amp.

Still, nothing is usually that simple with PC's!!!!

15. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i dont think i made myself very clear. Most people would agree that a creative based card, is not an audiophile choice, what with resampling issues, etc....now i would have thought the only reason people buy the card is for the EAX capabilities that creative cards have.
    This i presumed allowed if not "dolby digital et al" at least an affect that is similar.

I have not actually got a creative card so if someone knows better.....

16. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Oreoboy13,

Yep - I know exactly what you mean. Many of the posts I have read on this forum have suggested that the Creative cards are no match for some of the other makes on the market.

I'm still running a 5 year old SB Live with a daughterboard for the digital I/O, and I've been thinking about upgrading it for a while now - it's about time! Either that or building a dedicated HTPC...

What card are you running in your machine?

Other recommendations welcome...

Thanks,
    Tony

17. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to play pc games creative are the best soundcard however pc games are in eax or something similar and the sound card takes that and makes it sound surround like dolby pro logic 2! so to hear surround sound from your creative card u need to connect the analog outs to the analog inputs on ya reciever/amp!
    However if this is not to yur taste and if you havent got the card and have money to burn you could get a motherboard wi soundstorm technology that encodes in doldy digital in real time therefore whne playin games or music or just in windows you would be outputting a digital 5.1 signal! The motherboard i would recommend is the abit nf7 version 2 its a amd motherboard not sure is intel has soundstorm yet!
    Hope that helps :)

18. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I sorted the problem.
    I was using the test signals from the card software, but the test signals don't output in AC3.
    When the soundcard feeds a multichannel output to the receiver it should then be decoded at the amp end.
    As far as DD games go, they are becoming increasingly popular. Max Payne 2 and Enter the Matrix are both Dolby Digital titles.
    Last thing. I already had 5.1 output from my NForce2 board, but Creative seemed to be the favourites for gaming with their EAX enviroments, so now I have a choice.
    I connected by the way using a minijack to phono adapter purchased from Maplins.

19. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0