Digital out of a receiver

H

harish_kini

What does it actually output? The front L/R of 5.1? Or only 2 channel stuff (stereo, tuner, tape, phono, aux?)

HK

pointon

Novice Member
http://www.home-cinema-guide.co.uk/digital1.htm

It outputs everything. All 5.1 channels of a 5.1 soundtrack travel through digital connections. A digital connection will, put in a ridiculously simple way, carry digital versions of 2 channel analogue signals also. A normal 2 channel connection cannot pass a digital signal.

Therefore you'll need digital connections for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. All you'll get from a 2 channel connection is a Dolby Prologic soundtrack.

H

harish_kini

Originally posted by pointon
http://www.home-cinema-guide.co.uk/digital1.htm

It outputs everything. All 5.1 channels of a 5.1 soundtrack travel through digital connections. A digital connection will, put in a ridiculously simple way, carry digital versions of 2 channel analogue signals also. A normal 2 channel connection cannot pass a digital signal.

Therefore you'll need digital connections for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. All you'll get from a 2 channel connection is a Dolby Prologic soundtrack.
Thanks pointon.

Sorry, still not very clear. Apparently one use of this is to connect it to an md/cd recorder. Now this is possible if the digital signal is stereo ie akin to the one that comes out of a CD transport. This will help to record on MD/CD recorders from a tuner/tape/tt whatever the source is selected on the receiver. Am I right till now? Now there is a difference in the digital signal of 5.1 and 2-channel digital. (or is there no difference?) So what happens if 5.1 signal goes to a recorder?

HK

MarkE19

will help to record on MD/CD recorders from a tuner/tape/tt whatever the source is selected on the receiver. Am I right till now?
No! You can only record to CD/MD via digital if you are recording from a CD/MD etc. via a digital link ie. the complete circuit needs to be digital. The receiver can not convert an analogue signal to digital.

So what happens if 5.1 signal goes to a recorder?
The recorder will either not recognise it and will therefore not record it, or it will only record in sterio. If recording from a DVD for example, you must set the DVD player to output in PCM (digital 2 channel).

Mark.

Daneel

Originally posted by MarkE19
No! You can only record to CD/MD via digital if you are recording from a CD/MD etc. via a digital link ie. the complete circuit needs to be digital. The receiver can not convert an analogue signal to digital.

Mark.
According to the manual for my receiver I can't record a digital signal through analogue outputs, and there is no mention of recording analogue inputs digitally.

Given the last point, why does my receiver have a A/D converter at all?

H

harish_kini

Thanks Mark E19.

I now understand it as follows:
a. If the analogue source is selected on the receiver, then there will be no digital output
b. If a 2-channel digital source (say from CD transport) is selected, then there will be a 2-channel digital signal at the digital output.
c. If DVD is selected, then there will be a 5.1 digital signal at the output.

The purpose of the original question was to find a solution to use analogue sources with digital pre-amps such as a Quad CDP-P 99. Any suggestions? Or shd it be a part of a new thread?

HK

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom