1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital out of a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by harish_kini, Jan 2, 2003.

1. harish_kini

harish_kini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does it actually output? The front L/R of 5.1? Or only 2 channel stuff (stereo, tuner, tape, phono, aux?)

HK

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.home-cinema-guide.co.uk/digital1.htm

It outputs everything. All 5.1 channels of a 5.1 soundtrack travel through digital connections. A digital connection will, put in a ridiculously simple way, carry digital versions of 2 channel analogue signals also. A normal 2 channel connection cannot pass a digital signal.

Therefore you'll need digital connections for Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS soundtracks. All you'll get from a 2 channel connection is a Dolby Prologic soundtrack.

3. harish_kini

harish_kini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pointon.

Sorry, still not very clear. Apparently one use of this is to connect it to an md/cd recorder. Now this is possible if the digital signal is stereo ie akin to the one that comes out of a CD transport. This will help to record on MD/CD recorders from a tuner/tape/tt whatever the source is selected on the receiver. Am I right till now? Now there is a difference in the digital signal of 5.1 and 2-channel digital. (or is there no difference?) So what happens if 5.1 signal goes to a recorder?

HK

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    No! You can only record to CD/MD via digital if you are recording from a CD/MD etc. via a digital link ie. the complete circuit needs to be digital. The receiver can not convert an analogue signal to digital.

The recorder will either not recognise it and will therefore not record it, or it will only record in sterio. If recording from a DVD for example, you must set the DVD player to output in PCM (digital 2 channel).

Mark.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    According to the manual for my receiver I can't record a digital signal through analogue outputs, and there is no mention of recording analogue inputs digitally.

Given the last point, why does my receiver have a A/D converter at all?

6. harish_kini

harish_kini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark E19.

I now understand it as follows:
    a. If the analogue source is selected on the receiver, then there will be no digital output
    b. If a 2-channel digital source (say from CD transport) is selected, then there will be a 2-channel digital signal at the digital output.
    c. If DVD is selected, then there will be a 5.1 digital signal at the output.

The purpose of the original question was to find a solution to use analogue sources with digital pre-amps such as a Quad CDP-P 99. Any suggestions? Or shd it be a part of a new thread?

HK