Digital or Physical Book?

What is your buying preference: a Digital or Physical Book?

• Digital

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Physical

Votes: 35 46.7%

• Total voters
Noticed that Amazon was offering me a 3 month free trial for Audible. Thought that was odd as I had already had a 3 month trial less than a year ago. Checked that maybe I wasn’t logged in so it didn’t know my history but I was tried. Tried it expecting to be rejected when I hit Audible but I wasn’t.

Obviously, they are trying very hard to build the customer numbers up.

Cheers,

It's the same for many services - Amazon prime, Netflix etc - after a while your 'free trial used' status resets.

Understand that but after less than than a year, especially as the trial is 3 months surprised me.

Cheers,

Nigel

I've never timed it, but we've had multiple free trials of many services. Generally about a year apart from memory. I guess they worked as we eventually gave in and subscribed :)

Ibooks for 99% of books now, it's a love hate relationship, love the convenience hate the coldness. Cannot beat the feel of a book.

Once upon a time I had grand ideas of having a library at home. Over the space of 20 years I kept every book ( I was a voracious reader from age 11-late 20's, 4 books or more a week was not uncommon) I read and my friends would give me their books.

When I transferred to the US in 2004 I realized that the library was a dream, I had at least a thousand books but no where to keep them. I went through them checking for rare ones and the rest went to friends/charity/car boot sale, a sad day indeed.

A house library... cool... here's ours... we, er, put it next to the billiard room...

Bromley-_House-9.jpg

A house library... cool... here's ours... we, er, put it next to the billiard room...

Bromley-_House-9.jpg

Nice one, I was just going to use a spare bedroom TBF, nothing as grand as yours? Do you file them chronological order/alphabetically or by year?

I read all my fiction on my phone via Google Play Books. I spend my Google Award Survey money on books. However, all my non fiction reference books, I prefer in print on my desk.

It always gets me about people going on about the feel of a book etc.

For myself it's about the words, I've only got 3 hardbacks left in the house but that's only because I can't get them on a Kindle.

Definitely a Kindle over books

Normally, assuming the internet doesn't explode, a moderator will merge the 2 threads in what is known in forum parlance as a 'thread merge'. :laugh:

Perhaps, though this is a large board and probably too many pies for mods to get their fingers into - I believe being a mod is a tough cookie. :rolleyes:

Kindle books for me these days. Especially as you can have the discounted audio to go with them.

Kid's books are all physical, our grown up books are all digital. They simply take up too much space otherwise. It was sad getting rid of the 100s of books I'd accumulated, but they weren't practical.

I prefer the kindle, but the books im reading now don't have and ebook version, and im starting to like a physical book again

I like the smell of new books. I get high on it. But since I don't have a lot of space in my room (I dream of having a library when I get rich), I also have a large collection of ebooks. Mostly Warhammer 40K.

I now only read Kindle books - either on my phone or tablet. I also often get the audible version as well. Within the kindle app you can switch between listening to the audio (e.g. while out walking) or reading it yourself e.g. while on the train. The app allows you to start reading where you stopped listening.

I now regard having to carry around a physical book so that I could read it on my train journey as a complete hassle. I would much rather read it on my phone instead.

I get through quite a few books so I used to have to make regular trips to the charity shop to get rid of them. I imagine that the rise of ebooks will eventually impact this part of charity shops revenue.

For me once I have read a book I will never read it again - there are too many other new books out there for me to waste time re-reading something that I have already read. Perhaps that is one reason why I do not have much of an attachment to physical books.

Both are good, but physical books are better, old-school. It's different to read physical book and digital book. In my opinion book should be physical

I'm partial to owning them digitally now. I like how a physical book feels and smells, but I would like to limit the number to the ones I really ended up enjoying and would probably reread in the future. A Kindle is convenient for me now, plus clutter-free.

I tend to buy hardback books, but think that they should come with a download code for the audiobook version (like vinyl LP's often do)... seems fair to me when buying the "premium" version of a product.

I was never a big reader but my wife bought me a Kindle Paperwhite last Christmas and I have read more books this past year than the 10 before it. Kindle daily deals is the digital Bargain Books!

To be fair though, I completed a a part-time Open University degree last year so spent 6 years straight with my head in text books on my days off work. The last thing I wanted to do during that time was read for pleasure.

Digital. I have had a Kindle Keyboard since they first came out and am finally transitioning to a Paperwhite Gen 10. I travel a lot and my Kindle, My Sony DAP and my XM3s are my company. I also have a lot of my current post grad reading material on my Kindle too.

Fiction - neither, I prefer unabridged audiobooks by a mile. But limited to those choices, I am leaning towards digital. The main reason, is that I tend to buy books faster than I can read them so digital removes the need for shelf space. But the main reason is text size - at my age, my reading sight is deteriorating and sometime I open a book in a shop and it is a challenge even with my glasses. At least with digital I have improved contrast and I can increase the font size to suit.

Most of my ‘reading’ is done while commuting in my car or while doing other activities (like making plastic models and wargame figures) so audiobooks are king.

Cheers,

Nigel

So worth getting a Kindle or just using a tablet instead? I am unsure if you can get audiobooks on a Kindle ie from library etc but would imagine the kindle is easier to use/read from? Thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom