1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital (Optical) or Analog for CD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by guyb, Jul 6, 2003.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

I have a question. I have been using my Pioneer D1011 Receiver & Sony NS905V DVD Player (not bad CD playback for a DVD Player) for listening to music conneted via a digital coax to the DVD input on the D1011. I was thinking of also connecting the DVD player the CD input of the D1011. That way I won't have to keep switching from Movie settings to Music settings everytime I listen to CDs as I can use the DVD input for movies and the CD input for music.

So my question is this: -

Shall I connect the DVD player to the CD input of the receiver (for listening to music) via the -

Analog Inputs (using a IXOS 1000-100 Gamma Studio 1m Interconnect (worth £90))

OR

Digital Optical Inputs (using a IXOS XHD308 (106) 1m Toslink Optical Lead (worth £30))

Which would produce better sound quality for music.

Thanks

Guy

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In this case I have a feeling that the amp's DAC will be better than the DVD player's. I guess the only real way is to try them both out and see which you prefer.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In theory the Coax is better because there is less conversion and error checking, i.e. Coax = Digital from Player direct to Receiver Digi Stage. Optical = Digital from Player convert to optical via tosh connector x2 from optical back to digital and on to the receiver Digital stage. But in reality if you can hear the difference I would be amazed, hell that's what you have error checking for in the first place.