Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Digital optical > coaxial convertor problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BANG, Sep 18, 2003.

1. BANG

BANG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have an Xbox hooked up to my 5.1 digital amplifier, although I'm having to use an optical > coaxial converter as the output on the xbox is optical and the input on the amp is coaxial......now, although this set up seems to work, I have noticed that every now and then I'm getting a kind of static inteference through the speakers. :(

After wiggling a few cables and using a bit of the old common sense, I've now come to the conclusion that it must be the converter that's the problem, as pulling out and reinserting either of the optical or coaxial cables from it seems to cure the static. Also, I have absolutely no problems with digital sound from my DVD player or sound from my Sky box so my amp isn't at fault. BTW both the optical and coaxial are Monster cables so they're not to blame ;)

I bought the Converter from Maplin for £15 and I fear that I may have bought a cheapo piece of generic cr@p, as on their website it doesn't even mention what brand or make it is...:confused:

Can anyone shed any light on these converters? Are there any other branded types that I could try?

/edit

i've found the converter that I bought on another site and it's made by a company called, "Dayton Audio".

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    lektropacks do one for £50 IIRc would hope it to be better quality!

edit: just had a look and its £20 so may be the same one!

3. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bang

I have the same converter doing the same job, (well did, until my new denon had enough of optical and coax inputs so now everything goes to the amp via light guides :)

I have the old one, about a year old, never had a problem with it, it worked faultlesly for its duration, it now sits in a box collecting dust.
    If you want i could stick in in a jiffy bag for you to try. if you want to eliminate the gremlin in system.

I too was dubious about it when it arrived from maplin, it seemed very CHEAP and upon internal inspection ( simply had to see what it was inside) its all clear. there is one TOSlink to PCB connector a tiny circuit board with a chip on, and a Phono lead PCB connector.
    maybe a dry joint on one of the connections in your case.

let me know what you want me to do.

Dom:)

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm using the Maplins £15 Coax to optical job, as my new NAD C521BEE CD player didn't have an optical, and my Sony MD didn't have coax. Picked the converter up yesterday and have to say I've had no probs with it. In fact, I'm copying a CD to MD as I type. Sounds like yours could be faulty, I'm afraid.