Digital NTL with analogue TV or do I need a digital one?

ScottyToo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to this so please don't flame me (too much;) ) for asking silly questions but your help would be appreciated. I've been searching aorund and reading up on what I can but I still have these and many more questions....

[1] I have NTL Digital and currently an Analogue TV. I am about to replace this TV with a proper AV solution (i.e the 6.1 decoder outside the TV). Do I get any benefit by paying for a digital tuner?
I currently can't get teletext at all (unless I tune to a terrestrial not via NTL box). Would I on a digital set? What about EPG? I see the normal channel guide but it would be good if the TV could understand it and perhaps pass it to the video

[2] Could I mix an aerial input (for free-to-air digital TV) down the same coax as the NTL feed or would this cause a lot of cross contamination?

[3] A bit outside this forum but while I'm on a flow - do all digital tuner equiped TVs also do analogue? (i.e. is a digital tuner really a digi+ana tuner)

[4] Back on track - do you only get 5.1/6.1 from a local source or is it broadcast? i.e. my current knowledge suggests you only get stereo and Prologic via NICAM.

[5] Is NTL ok or would it be worth going with Sky for better pictures/sound? NTL seems good to me for telephone use and broadband so I'd prefer to stay where I am (I think!)

Thanks is advance

So would I be right in saying that acutally these aren't stupid questions and the fact is no one can answer them or is it no one is willing to help out a newbie?

Originally posted by ScottyToo

[1] I have NTL Digital and currently an Analogue TV. I am about to replace this TV with a proper AV solution (i.e the 6.1 decoder outside the TV). Do I get any benefit by paying for a digital tuner?
I currently can't get teletext at all (unless I tune to a terrestrial not via NTL box). Would I on a digital set? What about EPG? I see the normal channel guide but it would be good if the TV could understand it and perhaps pass it to the video
Freeview DTT has digital teletext. It's great being able to go through pages at your own pace, but there's more stuff on analogue teletext. There is a simple EPG with Freeview. Don't think it's any good for the video.
[2] Could I mix an aerial input (for free-to-air digital TV) down the same coax as the NTL feed or would this cause a lot of cross contamination?
I think you could :-|
[3] A bit outside this forum but while I'm on a flow - do all digital tuner equiped TVs also do analogue? (i.e. is a digital tuner really a digi+ana tuner)
I think they must be dual mode.
[4] Back on track - do you only get 5.1/6.1 from a local source or is it broadcast? i.e. my current knowledge suggests you only get stereo and Prologic via NICAM.
Only Sky+ has 5.1
[5] Is NTL ok or would it be worth going with Sky for better pictures/sound? NTL seems good to me for telephone use and broadband so I'd prefer to stay where I am (I think!)
Why don't you mention Freeview DTT? Do you need Sky Sports, and Sky Movies?

Go on then I'll give it a go

1) You are already receiving Digital TV, via the NTL STB. If you buy a TV with a digital tuner on board then you would in effect receive 2 digital feeds. NTL Teletext is pants and will never work. you would therefore have to get it the terrestrial digital feed (I think I answered your question there, but I did get a bit confused half way through)

2)No you can't do that

3) Dunno.

4) Most feeds are broadcast in stereo, so can be processed to Pro Logic, except Sky+ which is broadcast in Digital (?)

5) Search the forums for answers to this never ending problem

I'm sure that if I've got things wrong then someone will correct me:D

1: You will not see any benefit form using an Integrated Digital TV if you are already using NTL (or Sky), as the only real difference between an analogue and a digital TV is the built in tuner. NTL don’t support teletext from their digital STB’s.

2: If you mean the main coax feed into your STB then no, what ever you do don’t even try it!

3: I believe they do.

4: Indeed you will only get stereo/prologic from Nicam or the stereo output from your STB. The only way presently to get broadcast DD 5.1 is from a Sky+ system.

5. If your happy with NTL the I would stick with them.

So it looks like the questions were ok then. ;)

Thanks for the answers guys.

I've decided to saty with NTL as I have just ordered broadband and am reasonably happy with them. NTL Digi box seems very slow sometime but apart from that...

I can now concentrate on selecting my TV but I guess that's a post for another forum.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom