1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital NTL with analogue TV or do I need a digital one?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by ScottyToo, Oct 20, 2002.

1. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a newbie to this so please don't flame me (too much;) ) for asking silly questions but your help would be appreciated. I've been searching aorund and reading up on what I can but I still have these and many more questions....

[1] I have NTL Digital and currently an Analogue TV. I am about to replace this TV with a proper AV solution (i.e the 6.1 decoder outside the TV). Do I get any benefit by paying for a digital tuner?
    I currently can't get teletext at all (unless I tune to a terrestrial not via NTL box). Would I on a digital set? What about EPG? I see the normal channel guide but it would be good if the TV could understand it and perhaps pass it to the video

[2] Could I mix an aerial input (for free-to-air digital TV) down the same coax as the NTL feed or would this cause a lot of cross contamination?

[3] A bit outside this forum but while I'm on a flow - do all digital tuner equiped TVs also do analogue? (i.e. is a digital tuner really a digi+ana tuner)

[4] Back on track - do you only get 5.1/6.1 from a local source or is it broadcast? i.e. my current knowledge suggests you only get stereo and Prologic via NICAM.

[5] Is NTL ok or would it be worth going with Sky for better pictures/sound? NTL seems good to me for telephone use and broadband so I'd prefer to stay where I am (I think!)

Thanks is advance

2. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So would I be right in saying that acutally these aren't stupid questions and the fact is no one can answer them or is it no one is willing to help out a newbie?

3. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview DTT has digital teletext. It's great being able to go through pages at your own pace, but there's more stuff on analogue teletext. There is a simple EPG with Freeview. Don't think it's any good for the video.
    I think you could :-|
    I think they must be dual mode.
    Only Sky+ has 5.1
    Why don't you mention Freeview DTT? Do you need Sky Sports, and Sky Movies?

4. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go on then I'll give it a go

1) You are already receiving Digital TV, via the NTL STB. If you buy a TV with a digital tuner on board then you would in effect receive 2 digital feeds. NTL Teletext is pants and will never work. you would therefore have to get it the terrestrial digital feed (I think I answered your question there, but I did get a bit confused half way through)

2)No you can't do that

3) Dunno.

4) Most feeds are broadcast in stereo, so can be processed to Pro Logic, except Sky+ which is broadcast in Digital (?)

5) Search the forums for answers to this never ending problem

I'm sure that if I've got things wrong then someone will correct me:D

5. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1: You will not see any benefit form using an Integrated Digital TV if you are already using NTL (or Sky), as the only real difference between an analogue and a digital TV is the built in tuner. NTL don’t support teletext from their digital STB’s.

2: If you mean the main coax feed into your STB then no, what ever you do don’t even try it!

3: I believe they do.

4: Indeed you will only get stereo/prologic from Nicam or the stereo output from your STB. The only way presently to get broadcast DD 5.1 is from a Sky+ system.

5. If your happy with NTL the I would stick with them.

6. ScottyToo

ScottyToo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So it looks like the questions were ok then. ;)

Thanks for the answers guys.

I've decided to saty with NTL as I have just ordered broadband and am reasonably happy with them. NTL Digi box seems very slow sometime but apart from that...

I can now concentrate on selecting my TV but I guess that's a post for another forum.

Thanks again.