Digital Microscopes

Thug

Reaction score
Does anyone have/use a digital microscope?
Just bought one for watch repairs/restoration and wondered if other people use one for similar.

I am quite impressed with it so far. It has a 26mp sensor, which can capture huge photos or video on a memory card (you insert your own), and outputs to PC via USB (or HDMI) at 1080p. It has a decent 7” screen too.

I have worked out how to make a video but not worked out how to take a photo yet (the remote is finicky).

It does come with a stand, but I am using a microphone boom so I can hold it further away.

EA4C4748-FCB9-4F61-833F-F7D5C0D74BA7.jpeg

I should imagine that Steve Fletcher on "The Repair Shop" could do with one of those to replace his two pairs of glasses for clock repairs.

Edit: With luck you may be able to take a clipped photo using the PrtScr button on your keyboard and then pasting into a graphics package.

Last edited:
I can take a photograph on the PC, but thats only 1080p.
I want to take a full 26mp photo.

I have access to both a USB microscope and a telescope electronic eyepiece; they interface to the PC as webcams.
Maybe try accessing the microscope with your Windows 10 webcam app and use the still image capture in that rather than the supplied viewer.

I have access to both a USB microscope and a telescope electronic eyepiece; they interface to the PC as webcams.
Maybe try accessing the microscope with your Windows 10 webcam app and use the still image capture in that rather than the supplied viewer.
This is what i have been doing, but the microscope only outputs 1920x1080p via USB/HDMI, due to their limitations.
So obviously Windows Camera etc will only be able to capture at this resolution.
The internal capture is (26mp) 5888x4416, so obviously a LOT more.
So you can see why i would rather internal capture.

Here is a quick video i shot using it.
This was saved on the internal memory, so fairly decent quality.
I still cant take a photo however.
To give an idea of the size, this movement is smaller than my thumb nail.
I can zoom in optically much closer too (and even further using digital zoom).

Does anyone have/use a digital microscope?
Just bought one for watch repairs/restoration and wondered if other people use one for similar.

I am quite impressed with it so far. It has a 26mp sensor, which can capture huge photos or video on a memory card (you insert your own), and outputs to PC via USB (or HDMI) at 1080p. It has a decent 7” screen too.

I have worked out how to make a video but not worked out how to take a photo yet (the remote is finicky).

It does come with a stand, but I am using a microphone boom so I can hold it further away.

View attachment 1663020

That looks really good. I had quick glance at some last year but never bit the bullet.

Are you doing a course in watchmaking/repair or is it all self taught? I started the BHI course in 2020 but it's been put on the side-lines due to other commitments. Really looking forward to starting it again as soon as I can.

That looks really good. I had quick glance at some last year but never bit the bullet.

Are you doing a course in watchmaking/repair or is it all self taught? I started the BHI course in 2020 but it's been put on the side-lines due to other commitments. Really looking forward to starting it again as soon as I can.
Its all self (well, Youtube) taught at the moment.
Taking them apart is easy, its the putting them back together again i am struggling with ha ha.

What i found tricky (which i didn't think i would), is not actually looking at what you are doing.
Instead of looking at the item itself (and your hand/tools etc), you are looking up at a monitor.
I never thought it would matter or be an issue, but takes a little learning as its a little alien to your brain.

Its all self (well, Youtube) taught at the moment.
Taking them apart is easy, its the putting them back together again i am struggling with ha ha.

What i found tricky (which i didn't think i would), is not actually looking at what you are doing.
Instead of looking at the item itself (and your hand/tools etc), you are looking up at a monitor.
I never thought it would matter or be an issue, but takes a little learning as its a little alien to your brain.

I have the exact same problem with the DIY surgery I got into recently. :(
I can get the things apart easy enough (when they finally stop moving it's easier)
But they never seem to work again after I try my best at reassembly :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom