Question Digital live sound problem on Pioneer vsx-S510 with new Philips TV

Onnaj

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Pioneer vsx-s510 receiver which I'm very content with for over years now. I never had any problems with Dolby digital live or others but this changed since today.

I've bought myself a new Philips 50PUS7805/12 4K TV and when choosing for multi channel (bypass) output I'm getting weird beep sounds with playing Dolby digital series on for example netflix. When I change from 5.1 to normal sounds in the netflix option my sound is normal, but no surround of course.

When I use my mi box S or my cable receiver (both @1080p) I'm getting Dolby digital.

What could cause this problem? Am I missing something?

Thanks all!

oh sorry misread it. Tv and all other devices are connected through hdmi.

I'm using the tv apps indeed through saphy

Have you tried using the normal Multichannel setting to just see if it helps? Not the bypass setting. Also is this only in the Netflix app? Not Prime etc. As far as I can see from your TV manual you're all set ok.

As soon as I select the multichannel option, not the bypass I'm getting those strange sounds right away without even playing anything.

I'm not using prime, but since it's also happening in the settings menu without playing anything I don't think it's app related.

I've bought a second hand Marantz NR1508 now, which I'm receiving tomorrow, so I can rule out the receiver. The NR1508 has native 4k60 support and the vsx-s510 only 4k30. If that minds for the sound I'm not sure but it's to be sure

Ok in your first post you said you were using bypass which should be ok. Have you tried resetting the Pioneer and setting up from fresh as you have a new tv?

Haven't tried it, but the other hdmi port I've connected a new mi box S at the same day and there the Dolby digital worjs perfect. But can try that one also

Is this the weird noise you are getting?

Mine started doing this a couple of months ago. Although I have an LG TV. I notice the receiver flicked to PCM shortly then going back to Dolby Digital. I also notice that if I change the audio output on the TV to PCM it works fine, but if I leave it on Auto I get the issue.

Yes it's (almost) the same!

I can't change to pcm on the tv, just Auto.

But I've changed the receiver to a Marantz NR1508 and problem solved! Has something to do with the 40k30hz support on the vsx-s510.

Unfortunately while I really liked the performance and the looks of the Pioneer. But the Marantz performance is even better, though still think the Pioneer is better looking.

Yeah I have a feeling it's just a limitation of the receiver, it is nearly 7 years old.

I have been looking for a new receiver, I think I have narrowed it down this but it's a bit bigger. I need another slimline one unfortunately. Denon AVRX2600 (Black)

Yeah I have a feeling it's just a limitation of the receiver, it is nearly 7 years old.

I have been looking for a new receiver, I think I have narrowed it down this but it's a bit bigger. I need another slimline one unfortunately. Denon AVRX2600 (Black)

Yes and the support for 4K was limited at that time.

The Denon is a perfect device by the way! I'm unfortunately limited to a really slimline device.

Ps: A Punto is great car by the way ;) Have GP T-jet (with an Abarth turbo and remap), really love the car

Yes I need slimline as well, so it looks like the Marantz is the way to go. Annoyingly more expensive than the Denon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom